The Joe Murphy Column 15/5/20

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

Received an email from Harry Keddie who wrote; Hi Joe, my name is Harry Keddie, I recently started the pigeons again after an absence of almost 25 years. It never leaves you for some reason. A recent photo you posted in the Homing World recently flagged up memories when I was boy many years ago. My parents got friendly with a fancier in Kennoway called Dave Drummond. We stayed in Galashiels and I am pretty convinced this relationship would be founded on the reporting of a pigeon or a flown out young bird. In those days the Fife convoy used to come over in droves. Any way we visited Davy Drummond I was young at the time but I remember his white doo lander hat and his almost Des Lawson type features. However the highlight of the visit was getting taken to the nearby loft of Jimmy Hamilton's to see Nans Pride. It's a scenario that was kind of lost to memory bank until that pic in the Homing World triggered the day. I have recently started a column in the Homing World and penning under Scot Bor short for SCOTTISH BORDERS I am the newly appointed secretary and felt we needed to raise the profile of the Fed. Enjoy your read every week. With having the lung I can imagine you will be on edge at this tense time. All the best to you and your family keep safe. Joe it takes a bit of beating up there in Arbroath and I wish Kevin well for 2020 season. I wrote back to Harry and look forward to reading his weekly contribution. There is not much happening within the sport just now, Kevin has his old birds and youngsters flying well at the moment with the good weather we are having just now I have been in the garden most days. I’ve split the birds up and only one or two have a late bred in their nests with either the sire or dam feeding them. They are bred from the very best with some direct from children of SNFC winners or Gold or Silver Award winners, too good to throw the eggs out. So we will see how they transpire and if Kevin has room they will get moved up to Arbroath. We have only spoken on Face Time and we are sad that we will not be able to sit in his back garden and wait on the national birds coming home from the channel races. But this is a small price to pay for the amount of people who have lost their lives to this dreaded Coronavirus. Our niece husband father passed away this week and our nephew and my sister who is a nurse have both been diagnosed as positive and have to stay isolated.

Good SNFC Birds

Thought I would highlight a couple of birds in this feature with the first two from J Milne of Gorebridge who has a red cock SU16P236 who as a 2 year old won 261st open from Maidstone flying a distance of 354 miles, he then went to Ypres and won 31st section B 81st open flying 424 miles. Then last year he scored from the inland Buckingham race a distance of 279 miles winning 270th open. His 2nd pigeon is a chequer cock SU17P5309 who has a yearling flew the same race programme as the red cock in 2018 and from Maidstone he was 152nd open then from Ypres he won 34th section B 84th open then in 2019 he was again sent to Maidstone and won 15th section B 31st open, so two pigeons to look out for this season if it gets going. We now move onto my old mate Tam McLeod of Elphinstone who also has 2 birds that have won 3 times in the national. Starting with a blue bar hen SU16P5384, As a yearling she won 110th section B 418th open from Bedhampton flying a distance of 360 miles then as a 2 year old she was to the fore winning 10th section B 19th open from Maidstone flying 357 miles. Then last year she was again to the front when she won 28th section B 97th open from Buckingham flying 283 miles. Tam’s 2nd pigeon is a red cock SU16P 7231 who as a yearling won twice in the national being 105th section B 399th open from Bedhampton then he scored 42nd section B 121st open from Ypres flying a distance of 426 miles. He was sent back to this same race point in 2019 and won 10th section B 24th open, and once again two birds to look out for on the national results and we wish both fanciers all the best for the 2020 season ahead. I’ve included a photograph of Tam and Kevin taken at the SHU Show last November.

Photo’s

I’ve included a couple of photographs to go with his column, the first is of Willie Strang who phoned me up to thank me for informing fanciers that he had taken a stoke. Willie is making slow progress and it was a very nice to hear his voice on the phone, you take it easy my old friend and give your ‘blue nose’ brother my good wishes also. I have added a photograph of ‘Top Gun’ who was born in 2004 and is still going about in my loft. He was bred from a son of DeWeerdt’s Emiel winner of 1st international Bordeaux 9493 birds when mated to ‘Star-flam’ a winner of 18th international Perpignan. The dam of ‘Top Gun’ was from a son of Emiel when mated to a daughter of Attila. He contained the very best of their winning lines. I still have a sister to ‘Top Gun’ but she has now stopped laying but I have children from his when mated to 2 of the Deweerdt families top pigeons ‘Inita’ winner 5 times from Barcelona and ‘Clovis’ a 7 times winner in national races. I have also added an old photograph of the trophy winners taken at a Fife Federation presentation with Dennis Dall in the front holding 3 trophies.

Tom McLeod of Tranent with Kevin Murphy

Tom McLeod of Tranent with Kevin Murphy.JPG

Top Gun.

Top Gun.JPG

Willie Strang.

Willie Strang.jpg

Fife Fed Trophy Winners

Fife Fed Trophy Winners.jpg

Joe’s Joke

It’s a sunny morning in the Big Forest and the Bear family is just waking up. Baby Bear goes downstairs and sits in his small chair at the table. He looks into his small bowl. It is empty! "Who's been eating my porridge?" he squeaks. Father Bear arrives at the table and sits in his big chair. He looks into his big bowl. It is also empty! "Who's been eating my porridge?" he roars. Mother Bear sticks her head out the kitchen door and yells, "For Pete's sake, how many times do we have to go through this? It was Mother Bear who go up first. It was Mother Bear who woke everybody else in the house up. It was Mother Bear who unloaded the dishwasher from last night and put everything away. It was Mother Bear who went out into the cold early morning air to fetch the newspaper. It was Mother Bear who set the table. It was Mother Bear who put the cat out, cleaned the litter box and filled the cat's water and food dish. And now that you've decided to come down stairs and grace me with your presence, listen good because I'm only going to say this one more time: I haven't made the bloodly porridge yet!"

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view online editions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.com www.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy