Hens

neila

Do any members feed the hens once a day during the racing season

I normally let them out before work fed in then fed again about 6 pm but kept in as the cocks and ybs fly after work I feed third morning 2 thirds night n order to put a shift in in the morning

Now being off work I am having them out at 1030 am so it's a bit warmer but only giving a ounce a day if cleared in ten mins I give a another handful or two of barley bit at a time , somedays days the ounce don't get cleared o 4pm though

These hens fly for two hours yet I would think not having gad food for 18 to 23 hours, so I thought they would drop looking for grub and not having energy in he tank

I am not sure if it's the difference in temperature from 630 am to .1930 am when they go out or it's the different feeding but they never fly less than 90 mins

The mix is the same as previous years a barley based light feed

Anyone feed unpaired pigeons once a day when racing with success cocks or hens ?

Do any members feed the hens once a day during the racing season

I normally let them out before work fed in then fed again about 6 pm but kept in as the cocks and ybs fly after work I feed third morning 2 thirds night n order to put a shift in in the morning

Now being off work I am having them out at 1030 am so it's a bit warmer but only giving a ounce a day if cleared in ten mins I give a another handful or two of barley bit at a time , somedays days the ounce don't get cleared o 4pm though

These hens fly for two hours yet I would think not having gad food for 18 to 23 hours, so I thought they would drop looking for grub and not having energy in he tank

I am not sure if it's the difference in temperature from 630 am to .1930 am when they go out or it's the different feeding but they never fly less than 90 mins

The mix is the same as previous years a barley based light feed

Anyone feed unpaired pigeons once a day when racing with success cocks or hens ?

Meant to have typed 630 to 1030 not 1930 temperature wise when they go out

Some examples of fanciers feeding once per day ...

One of the best hens flyiers in Belgium Gaston vd Wouwer only feeds once a day in the evening .

Serge Van Elsacker I read does the pigeons in the morning and leaves to next day after that (although I have only read this as opposed to knowing)

At long distance maybe 10-15 years ago there was a small fancier in Belgian with some great pigeons (a regret of mine I did not spot in time before he sold). Anyway Taildeman only feed once a day. (Widowhood cocks)

All the above different to fanciers who feed hopper with food available at all times . (Of which there are many good examples )

Many roads .

Some examples of fanciers feeding once per day ...

One of the best hens flyiers in Belgium Gaston vd Wouwer only feeds once a day in the evening .

Serge Van Elsacker I read does the pigeons in the morning and leaves to next day after that (although I have only read this as opposed to knowing)

At long distance maybe 10-15 years ago there was a small fancier in Belgian with some great pigeons (a regret of mine I did not spot in time before he sold). Anyway Taildeman only feed once a day. (Widowhood cocks)

All the above different to fanciers who feed hopper with food available at all times . (Of which there are many good examples )

Many roads .

That's interesting

I may well try the few hens that I'm racing on that method and carry on the Vicks ad normal

Thank you for the info

I used to feed my ybs once a day after their training toss mate

Cheers Ryan I have done so that with ybs when daily training but never with just loft flying

I am surprised these hens have this energy 24 hours after the feed to put the amount of work they are , I could do without the time they are flying I may add a little protein to the food as that may cut the carbs and if not it's not a bad thing if they are doing the 2 hours

What do you think mate

I like my hens to act like young birds when flying. I like them to be in the tightest ball in the air you can see and not see them for at least 30 to 40 minutes, and then you get a quick glimpse and they are gone. I wouldnt be changing a thing in your regime if i was you pal. Tasker always said to me treat hens like you would young birds, cocks are a different beast

Cheers Ryan

I am picking 8 or 9 out to give it a go with hens this year to be ready for next year I will go for it and race all the hens

If they all flying good as u say mate id race them all this year but just me

If they all flying good as u say mate id race them all this year but just me

Trouble is mate I have 20 cocks and a lot of our club members don't send 20 birds most they send is 25 ish and that's only a couple of members so 40 would be to heavy ,Although as lot of good fliers in the fed do send that amount or more , next year I will try to cut the cocks to 16 and go with 16 pairs and 4 rank hens at home

Cheers Ryan

A great way to race cocks however is racing them this way but it requires 3 sections and 16 widowhood cocks. Left section V Perches, middle section 8 widowhood boxes and right section V Perches. It is for out and out sprinting however. 8 cocks on left paired to 8 hens in centre, rear and back in the left. Then do the same on the right. On exercise all cocks from both sections let out togethwr but they must trap only to there v perch sections never get access to the middle box section. On a friday hens in boxes, and cocks let out for exercise, and all cocks then to trap into box section, first cock back in goes in with the hen, cock trap last sits on front fighting and seeing his hen with the other cock. 5 minutes only maximum, basket and sent to a race. I would also if possible handle the birds in a specific order so the xoxks paired in box 1 wasnt sharing a crate all night, sometimes its unavoidable though

Nice system that Ryan thanks for sharing that

I saw a DVD some time back on John McGee he did a very similar thing I think the cocks shared a v perch section one team stayed in the box section and flew out from it after loft flying thy were moved to the v section and the ones from the v section trained back to the box section and stayed they flew out of that section for loft flying next morning and moved to the v section then the cocks in the v section was trained back to the box section ,

Did mean training each day though

On Friday the hen was put in the box so both cocks would fight for the box

I would think they would have to be basketed early in order to calm down on his system or my birds would as I never show the hen when I tried it on some cocks they never performed for me so just remove my board that covers the bowl now they seem better calm to me

But I can't argue what he won

• 1 month later...

Hi Ryan

Hope your keeping well trying a few of the hens

Last week I sent 19 cocks 6 hens had 3 hens in my first 8

This week I had 18 cocks the same 6 hens and tried one older hen I had 4 in my first 9 home ,the first winner today was a hen

So percentage wise the hens are doing well

it's given me some thought for next year