Young Bird Loft Section

neila

I currently have a 6 foot 6 yb section and a small 4 by 5 for 2nd round

With no racing so far and just possible short races loses may not be high so I am thinking of just breeding off certain stock next year and putting 8 widow cock in my little loft but I want two rounds off them

Looking for advice on mixing the first and 2nd rounds together

Do members find one holds the other back , how do you go about lightening the feed or controlling the feed when the 2 nd round are moved that still need more food and a heavier protein mix etc

Neila, it was the only way I raced was above, my young birds were all together and were all different ages. Our mutual friend Tony Webster can confirm how my young birds used to race. There is no issue at all doing it this way, in fact the later ybs would get up in air much earlier then their older loft mates, I always said its cos they didn't want to be left behind, but had no real logic to it. One thing I used to do though which was a ball ache was I used to hold those on later rounds back at exercise. They would be released before the older lot looked like they was going to drop. It then also kept the older lot up in the air longer, but also enabled me to gain some confidence in the younger ones. Once I was happy the strength on the wing was nearly on par, they'd be let out together. We used to always put clip rings on the 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounds to know the difference each round was a different colour.

Neila, it was the only way I raced was above, my young birds were all together and were all different ages. Our mutual friend Tony Webster can confirm how my young birds used to race. There is no issue at all doing it this way, in fact the later ybs would get up in air much earlier then their older loft mates, I always said its cos they didn't want to be left behind, but had no real logic to it. One thing I used to do though which was a ball ache was I used to hold those on later rounds back at exercise. They would be released before the older lot looked like they was going to drop. It then also kept the older lot up in the air longer, but also enabled me to gain some confidence in the younger ones. Once I was happy the strength on the wing was nearly on par, they'd be let out together. We used to always put clip rings on the 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounds to know the difference each round was a different colour.

Cheers Ryan

That's good to know , I have a 7 or 8 foot foot section next to my main yb section that I want to take half of that .

I am thinking of keeping the original sliding door between the original section and the bit I want to nick so I can wean the 2 nd round into it for a week and then like you say put them in there why the older ones go out I could even give them a bit extra protein in there why the others are out for a week or so

I was concerned about them going in the run or not going on the run due to the ages but you have given me a bit of confidence not to worry