Nice To Be

walterboswell59

last season when speaking to john Massarella i was telling him the cocks off my old De Barcelona vanderwegan stock cock sire of my loft had great longevity and filled there eggs into there late teens with the old cock filling his last egg at age 21 but his daughters only layed eggs till about 8 or 9 years old due me breeding 8 or 10 youngsters a year off them and that i had now only one daughter still laying an odd egg each year and did not think she would lay much more i asked john if he had any old hens off the old De Barcelona kicking about that were still fertile but john said i had got the last of them and that the line was gone anyway a few weeks later john phoned me to say he had found a 7 year old double gran daughter tucked away did i want her of course i said how much john said ill send her up if she lays pay me great i said ill pair her to my no one stock cock which is a double grandson of de barcelona and has sired 13 birds to score in the SNFC and the Dewar trophy winner john agreed it could be a great parring and would help hold the line as it was all but gone when he said that i asked him if he would like a pair off them to keep the bloodline at louella and he said he would be delighted to get a pair so the hen was sent to me and paired to the no one cock it was november by this time so i only got the one pair of latebreds which were put in the stock loft and i sent the first pair off them this year down to louella john phoned to say they were a cracking pair of youngsters and thanked me for them that was 6 weeks ago this morning i got a phone call from louella saying john had come across a double grandson of the old cock a 2012 bird still filling eggs and was a gift to me thankyou john dog with too tails cant wait to see him coming tomorrow and have already switched away another four eggs off the hen Happy Days hope you guys are all staying safe take care everyone

Lovely post Walter. Have always had the utmost respect for the Louella stud. Yes, believed them to be more than fair in many regards.

When starting up at my new abode, many top flyers told me to visit Massarella etc. Main point being great 'Blood' and at a more than fair price.

Indeed, another way of good and proven birds were buying in from good fanciers 'Later Bred' especially from those that had the Massarella birds and were winning from them. Yes days of many flying just cock birds and giving other birds a nest to settle them....

Personally I believe that the best birds are bred early autumn for many reasons. Next year, if need be youngsters given a odd race 100- 150- 200 miles.

Well done Walter. A long partnership with the Masserella family and you have certainly brought the best out of the pigeons you bought from them. You have always promoted them and were never slow to sing their praises when you scored well with their bloodlines. Hope you so do again. :)

last season when speaking to john Massarella i was telling him the cocks off my old De Barcelona vanderwegan stock cock sire of my loft had great longevity and filled there eggs into there late teens with the old cock filling his last egg at age 21 but his daughters only layed eggs till about 8 or 9 years old due me breeding 8 or 10 youngsters a year off them and that i had now only one daughter still laying an odd egg each year and did not think she would lay much more i asked john if he had any old hens off the old De Barcelona kicking about that were still fertile but john said i had got the last of them and that the line was gone anyway a few weeks later john phoned me to say he had found a 7 year old double gran daughter tucked away did i want her of course i said how much john said ill send her up if she lays pay me great i said ill pair her to my no one stock cock which is a double grandson of de barcelona and has sired 13 birds to score in the SNFC and the Dewar trophy winner john agreed it could be a great parring and would help hold the line as it was all but gone when he said that i asked him if he would like a pair off them to keep the bloodline at louella and he said he would be delighted to get a pair so the hen was sent to me and paired to the no one cock it was november by this time so i only got the one pair of latebreds which were put in the stock loft and i sent the first pair off them this year down to louella john phoned to say they were a cracking pair of youngsters and thanked me for them that was 6 weeks ago this morning i got a phone call from louella saying john had come across a double grandson of the old cock a 2012 bird still filling eggs and was a gift to me thankyou john dog with too tails cant wait to see him coming tomorrow and have already switched away another four eggs off the hen Happy Days hope you guys are all staying safe take care everyone

Absolutely different class Walter wish you continued success with them . I know the ones I’ve had off Scott off your De Barcelona line are shaping up fantastically ðŸ‘

well he arrived today and he is a belter will fit in perfect with my breeding plan cant thank john enough he will be paired to a daughter of jamie and jenna both silver award winners and she has already bred me two birds to score across the water and just a young hen so looking forward to see what i get from them breeding is going great just now but im being very very selective only breeding from birds that have scored in the SNFC or have bred birds to score in the SNFC but fostering as many as i can from them hope im going to be here long enough to see how they progress lol im already sitting with a fantastic team of birds for the nationals and thought i might really set the heather alight this year alas it was not to be but they will be there for next year god willing ive always been of the opinion you must have a plan and do your utmost to stick to it mines has always been to create

a good long distance family of birds that will win consistently into the west of Scotland just now its the silver Award family but my goal is a gold Award family hope i can see it through i know i have the tools but it aint easy and better men than i have failed and at almost 67 years old time is not on my side have to be realistic so i have to get right sooner rather than later roll on next year

well he arrived today and he is a belter will fit in perfect with my breeding plan cant thank john enough he will be paired to a daughter of jamie and jenna both silver award winners and she has already bred me two birds to score across the water and just a young hen so looking forward to see what i get from them breeding is going great just now but im being very very selective only breeding from birds that have scored in the SNFC or have bred birds to score in the SNFC but fostering as many as i can from them hope im going to be here long enough to see how they progress lol im already sitting with a fantastic team of birds for the nationals and thought i might really set the heather alight this year alas it was not to be but they will be there for next year god willing ive always been of the opinion you must have a plan and do your utmost to stick to it mines has always been to create

a good long distance family of birds that will win consistently into the west of Scotland just now its the silver Award family but my goal is a gold Award family hope i can see it through i know i have the tools but it aint easy and better men than i have failed and at almost 67 years old time is not on my side have to be realistic so i have to get right sooner rather than later roll on next year

You talk a lot of sense Walter and think you are almost at your goal and good luck.

Working on similar genetic breeding through my gold cup section winner out of my 16 stock nest boxes 11 have birds related to him i.e. Sons ,daughters,full brothers although I am a few years behind your set up I soon hope to have a family bred for distance racing in the west .

Best luck