Sparrow Hawk Numbers

RyanDavidson

How many other fanciers having probelms with these birds at moment i been out game past couple year and i can tell for sure problem got worse specially At this time of year when getting youngsters used to there place in allotment can be a nightmare i have had 3 attacks in 2 weeks hate seen my bairns that jumpy way

Least it's not the bloody Percy harassing them for hours in the sky, watching them diving at break neck speed into the trees, ground or houses..Had 1 spar attack in autumn and managed to save my latebred.

See the hen spar almost daily and blue tits and crows kronging giving the alarm then the birds are straight up high and once the hawk appears the doos follow it till it's moved off.

Think it helps with a large flight.. They quickly get used to the alarm calls and what the alarms mean.

With Percy it appears from nowhere no alarm no warning. Bain of my life!

How many other fanciers having probelms with these birds at moment i been out game past couple year and i can tell for sure problem got worse specially At this time of year when getting youngsters used to there place in allotment can be a nightmare i have had 3 attacks in 2 weeks hate seen my bairns that jumpy way

Down here sparrowhawks are a big problem

The days of enjoying the birds in the garden are gone it's in the sky or in the loft , on Saturday I allowed my ybs a bit more freedom as I was staining the wood on the front of the loft so I was never away from them and got hit by a hawk

Now I have to go back to the system of the last 3 or 4 years ybs out late in the day 30 mins only to they started to fly old birds in soon as they drop .

I remember 3 years ago I was being hit every day one time I left the cocks in for 10 days I let them out on a Saturday after others had timed and got hit in 20 mins

Just watched a peregrine from my window it was getting harassed by a crow high up in the clear sky ,thank god nae doos out yet a pal had one sitting on his wall looking at his birds about 2 weeks ago bluddy pests.

I never let birds out for over a week because of them and first day I ket them out with in 1 minute sparrow attempts to take one goes right through them whilst sitting on hut getting used to going in and out trap aye true mate best have birds in a nd straight in but it's mostly young ones av got and trying break them

I am getting hit nearly every time I have my young birds out by a sparrow hawk or goshawk. So is my mate 3 miles away. It is war now. Hate watching my old ones speed up and away after alarm call. Some are so frightened they fly for hours. Killed a few young birds as they are sitting ducks at times. Mjb

Hi Michael

On eBay there are small LED strobe lights about £6 each I bought 4 and dotm them about the garden my strikes have reduced since they run off AA batteries so cheap to run

If the hawk wants to hit your birds they won't stop them but I do think they stop the opportunist strikes where the hawk has other optuons

On Bute the sparrow hawk usually nests late April early May so I don't see the hen for most of the Summer.

The Peregrine for me is a different story ---any time of day or year! Although I think my birds are slowly getting wise to it,only one spare hen taken since January and I see it most days.