Roundabout V Widowhood

neila

Never raced widowhood,only having a small set up it seems a shame to leave your hens at home.Cover the front of the nest boxes up during the week so the cocks obviously can't see in.

See if that brings the cocks on a bit ?

Yes boards with v's on is an option

I don't race roundabout tried it many years ago but didn't like it. Went to total widowhood where they race to there own sections but both partners are sent each week. I feel total widowhood is the best. I would never go back to just racing cocks with stay at home partners. With the total widowhood I always keep 1 or 2 cocks home each week and I always end the year with spare hens and there is usually always 5 left at home, as I believe they must see something when they come home, they don't care who it is,

• 3 weeks later...

I don't race roundabout tried it many years ago but didn't like it. Went to total widowhood where they race to there own sections but both partners are sent each week. I feel total widowhood is the best. I would never go back to just racing cocks with stay at home partners. With the total widowhood I always keep 1 or 2 cocks home each week and I always end the year with spare hens and there is usually always 5 left at home, as I believe they must see something when they come home, they don't care who it is,

When you were sprinting did you find widowhood cocks any better than total widowhood cocks obviously the hens performances made up for it for you but just wondered if you noticed any slight dip in the cocks

I race 20 cocks and put the hens into 2 teams that go every other week but it doesn't work that well for the hens as they don't get the weekly races I , in the end last season I picked out 6 hens to go each week and they started to come well . I think I am nervous of the main cocks not having the hen in the box waiting for them due to the previous performances the Cocks have had .

Your views on this would be most welcome

When you were sprinting did you find widowhood cocks any better than total widowhood cocks obviously the hens performances made up for it for you but just wondered if you noticed any slight dip in the cocks

I race 20 cocks and put the hens into 2 teams that go every other week but it doesn't work that well for the hens as they don't get the weekly races I , in the end last season I picked out 6 hens to go each week and they started to come well . I think I am nervous of the main cocks not having the hen in the box waiting for them due to the previous performances the Cocks have had .

Your views on this would be most welcome

No Neila, I do not think so, a total widowhood cock when on song performance wise was exactly the same as when I raced only cocks. Only difference was my hens would beat them on occasions. But there was always a hen not there hen waiting, generally the hens they saw were my flirt birds. Aslong as they saw something and had a chance to play it didn't matter. Generally I would get a cock and hen together most races and if they wasn't partners they went in together after clocking

Thanks Ryan

I think that's give me food for thought ,

I am tempted next year to cut the cocks to 16 from 20 birds and pick 16 hens to race each week with 4 unraced hens kept back just for the returning cocks

It would work really well or race all of them but alternate which 4 hens stay at home

What like tumbler or fantail types Ryan ?

We used to use fantails or figuritas they was always our flirt birds, to encourage trapping, these were the birds we used to go in with the first cocks or the first hens. As a cock or hen came they were replaced even if they wasn't their partners. The racers had to have something regardless and over the years I've found they don't care who it is for them aslong as they get something.

It's a load of rubbish that a cock can't come back to an empty box either, they come back to empty box, timed, and then flirt bird out in to please him. Means nothing at all.

Alot written about pigeons of the past is believed whole heartedly, do things against the grain what is written they'll surprise you