The Joe Murphy Column 2/4/20

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

There is not much going on just now within the pigeon sport, and I very much doubt if we will get any old bird racing in 2020, one thing is for sure we will never get racing from France. By the time this lockdown is over it will be June and too late to get the birds fit to carry out the long distance race programme dates. I can see old and young bird racing going on during July to September from England and I suppose this would be better than nothing. I don’t know if I will be able to continue with my weekly article as there is no news coming in at the moment. I may have to dig out some old reports I have done on fancier over the years. Or even go back into my Sporting Challenge articles, at least this would keep the column going but this would be up to the editor.

Confided to the house

Like a lot of others we are in lockdown at the moment, and poor Margaret has never been over the door for 6 weeks by the time this article comes out, as she had a very poorly but I’m glad to say she is now on the mend. However it’s a long day when you cannot get out, my birds are now saying ‘Oh here he comes again’ as I’m in and out the loft during the day. My youngsters are all rung and I’m quite lockdown with one pair of late breds who paired up together and laid, I just left them together and low and behold their eggs hatched this week. The cock is bred from a ½ brother and sister pairing their sire was ‘Robbie’s Boy’ winner of 1st open SNFC Falaise for Gilmour Brothers of Leven, the dam of the this ½ brother and sister was a direct daughter of Dennis Dall famous hen ‘Rebecca 2’ a winner 7 times from France who also won a SNFC Gold Award winner she was mated to a Brian Denny cock to bred the hen. My late bred hen sire is my number one stock cock ‘Francis’ a direct son of ‘Robbie’s Boy’ when he was mated to a full sister to Jocky King’s champion hen ‘Mary’ a 10 times SNFC and Gold Award winner. The dam of the late bred hen is ‘My Little Rachel’ winner of 4th open SNFC Alencon flying 573 miles for Kevin in Arbroath. (Rachel is the dam of 26th SNFC Falaise for us). ‘My Little Rachel’ is bred from ‘Francis’ when he was paired to a ½ sister to ‘Robbie’s Boy’ she was from the same sire. What pleases me about this pairing is ‘Robbie’s Boy’ was bred in 2002 and here we are 18 years later in 2020 with youngsters containing the best of Robbie Boy’s bloodlines. Let’s hope they turn out as good as their predecessors.

Gilmour Bros with 1st open SNFC Falaise

Gilmour Bros with 1st open SNFC Falaise.JPG

Robbie's Boy 1st open SNFC Falaise 2006

Robbie's Boy 1st open SNFC Falaise 2006.JPG

Scottish Homing Union

Received an email from Linda Brooks to say that the SHU office now closed until further notice, and Linda is sorry for any disruption this may cause, but I’m sure you and all of our members will understand how serious the spread of this virus has now become. It seems sensible to follow the government advice to stay at home, which I hope all of you can also do. I hope you all stay safe, if you are an NHS or Health Worker THANK YOU! Please stay safe for all our sakes. I will contact you again should the government advice change in reference to our previous decision regarding postponing racing. NB; if or animal welfare reasons - if you have youngsters that unexpectedly hatched and you have no life rings, please check with your local club or federation for any members close to you that may have spare rings please take all the precautions you can based on current advice and instructions and hopefully this time will pass, kind regards, Yours sincerely Mrs Linda Brooks

Traprain Breeder/ Buyer

News from John Baillie who wrote ‘Morning Joe, hope you and the family are keeping well. The Traprain Breeder /Buyer sale has been cancelled for this year due to the ongoing situation we find all ourselves in with the coronavirus. I would like to give you a short update on the dark white flight 42292 you mentioned in this week's notes. As a yearling he was 36th open SNRPC Billericay, his nest mate was 23rd open Reims SNFC in 2019 and his full sister won 79th open Roye SNFC 2019, with a ½ brother winning 26th open Alencon 2017 in SNFC all from the same dam. She is from the ‘Rico’ lines from House of Aarden crossed with my old Silver Award Ambition cock who scored 4 times from Gold Cup races. He is bred down from Wilf Flockhart's Gold Award winner. You and Margaret take care at this time and keep safe with the coronavirus going about, yours in sport John Baillie’, my thanks to John for the above information and his good wishes.

Fife Federation Young Bird Sale

Geordie Todd forwarded the following email to me. ‘Hi Everyone, We have taken a decision to resurrect the Young Bird Sale but this time it will be on Pigeon Basics and will be an online auction. This will be co-ordinated by David Russell, Austin Whittaker and Archie Herd. Archie has agreed to take no fee for this. The commencement of the sale will be on Pigeon Basics from Sunday 5th of April and run to Sunday 12th of April. The attached sale list is now on Pigeon Basics. Can you be kind enough to inform all your club members about the above sale? Any help and support given to it will be greatly appreciated, regards Keith Cochrane Secretary.

Tae a virus

As you know up here in Scotland we have the famous Rabbie Burns a Scottish poet and lyricist; he was known as The National Bard, Bard of Ayrshire and various other names and descriptions. He is widely regarded as the national poet of Scotland and is celebrated worldwide. Please find the efforts of another SCOT in the name of Willie Sinclair with his rendition to the coronavirus situation.

Twa months ago, we didna ken, yer name or ocht aboot ye. But lots of things have changed since then, I really must salute ye. Yer spreading rate is quite intense, yer feeding like a gannet. Disruption caused, is so immense,ye’ve shaken oor wee planet. Corona used tae be a beer, they garnished it wae limes But noo it’s filled us awe wae fear These days, are scary times. Nae shakin hawns, or peckin lips, it’s whit they awe advise. But scrub them weel, richt tae the tips, that’s how we’ll awe survive Just stay inside , the hoose, ye bide Nae sneakin oot for strolls. Just check the lavvy every hoor. And stock-take, your, loo rolls Our holidays have been pit aff Noo that’s the Jet2 patter Pit oan yer thermals, have a laugh And paddle ‘ doon the waater ‘ Canary isles, no for a while Nae need for suntan cream And awe because o this wee bug We ken tae be..19 The boredom surely will set in, But have a read, or doodle Or plan yer menu for the month Wi 95 pot noodles. When these run oot, just look aboot A change, it would be nice We’ve beans and pasta By the ton and twenty stane o rice. So dinny think yell wipe us oot Aye true, a few have died Bubonic, bird flu, and TB They came, they left, they tried. Ye might be gallus noo ma freen As ye jump fae cup tae cup But when we get oor vaccine made. Yer number will be up.”

Willie Sinclair.... March2020

Joe’s Joke

I purchased a world map and gave Margaret a dart and said to her, ‘Throw this and wherever it lands I’m taking you for a holiday when this pandemic is over’. Turns out we’re spending two weeks behind the fridge.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view online editions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.com www.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy