Vaccination Of Young Birds

Grizzlecock

Manufacturers advice suggests that, below 3 weeks of age the youngster still has immunity from the parents. If vaccinated while carrying the inherited immunity the vaccine cannot work properly.

I’m not trying to be a know all but to prevent someone making a potentially costly mistake.

Manufacturers advice suggests that, below 3 weeks of age the youngster still has immunity from the parents. If vaccinated while carrying the inherited immunity the vaccine cannot work properly.

I’m not trying to be a know all but to prevent someone making a potentially costly mistake.

I agree with what you are saying to a point mate but if that's so why are we vaccination old birds every season ?

Are we just filling someones pockets ?

Do the egg producers vaccinate their birds every year ?

Just a thought on anoither lockdown day ?

IMO,With the possibility of no racing is this not a good time not to treat and let nature do its duty ,stop all this intervention with medication when some bird looks a bit sick let nature take its course .Like me i am sure fanciers are sitting with a large amount of birds or some are .I think this would be good practise for the coming year to help build back in natural immunity ,if and when we here of a time to start preparing for a race review your situation ,just a thought.

I agree with what you are saying to a point mate but if that's so why are we vaccination old birds every season ?

Are we just filling someones pockets ?

Do the egg producers vaccinate their birds every year ?

Just a thought on anoither lockdown day ?

Personally I vaccinate my birds every season to provide the protection they deserve.

Having seen P.M.V. many years ago I prefer never to encounter it again.

At one point in time I was told by Tom Pennicoat of SAC at Auchincruive that the length of immunity gained from a single vaccination was variable. Birds were vaccinated and tested at intervals for antibodies against P.M.V. In some cases the antibodies could not be detected 10 months after vaccination. I doubt if the vaccine will have been improved since then.

I don’t know whether egg producers vaccinate or not against Newcastle Disease but I do know they vaccinate against Marek’s Disease which is a killer. They can buy vaccine much more cheaply than pigeon vaccine particularly because they buy in bulk so you are probably correct to say we are lining someone’s pocket.

I hope this has given you some food for thought on this lockdown Saturday- where would we be without pigeons.

Just seen this on facebook,bit long winded but IMO worth a read.

PARAMYXO KO from BLUESKY PIGEON

Pigeon Paramyxo Virus type-1 (PPMV-1 or APMV-1)) is a variant of the H1N1 virus (Newcastle Disease Virus NDV) that is responsible for Newcastle disease in poultry. PPMV-1 is present in the pigeon gut (small intestine) and normally does not cause any symptons. Symptons and death can occur when the pigeons come under stress but the actual "trigger" is unknown. From studies it is known that when this virus enters the tissues and spreads, death occurs in a matter of hours unless the pigeons have been vaccinated against this virus. NOTE ---- the vaccine used must have been stored between 2-8 C at all times from time of manufacture otherwise its potency is very poor if at all present!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPMV-1 is classified as a serotype a which means it belongs to a group of avian viruses within the particular virus species, PPMV, that have the same type and number of surface molecules which trigger an immune response in the pigeon --- thesel surface molecules are also referred to as antigens whichthe pigeon immune cells (special white blood cells WBC which bathe all bodily tissues and organs) attack directly and/or antibodies released by these WBC attach to or label for other immune cells to attack). So the other name for PPMV-1 is Avian Paramyxo Virus type-1 (APMV-1), and together with 12 other serotypes of this virus, belong to the genus Avulavirus, subfamily Paramyxovirinae, family Paramyxoviridae.

This virus has been categorized into 5 pathogenic types: viscerotropic velogenic, neurotropic velogenic, mesogenic, lentogenic, and asymptomatic. That is quite a big mouthful!!!! Velogenic viruses are most virulent type and they cause significant losses in bird populations.

Eight other serotypes of avian paramyxo viruses are recognised, namely: APMV-2 to APMV-9. Most of these serotypes appear to be present in natural reservoirs of specific wild avian species, although other host species are usually susceptible. Only APMV-2 and APMV-3 viruses have made a significant disease impact in birds.

As we all know only too well, virulent (disease causing) viruses cause total havoc!!!!! I hope those parents who totally refused to vaccinate their children are not at the front of the queue when we eventually get a vaccine for SARS COV-2 virus that caused COVID-19.

An evaluation of the impact of PARAMYXO KO ingredients on the course of pigeon paramyxo virus type-1 (PPMV-1)infection in pigeons also called APMV-1.

A little Background on Vaccines.

Vaccines for paramyxo virus in racing pigeons are available but if they are not stored properly from time of manufacture until time of use then there is a very strong likelihood that they may be ineffective. "When vaccines are not stored correctly, they stop working effectively. Their potency is affected when they are stored outside of the correct temperature range". (https://www.coolmed.co.uk/…/what-happens-if-vaccines-are-no…)

And combined with that we must remember that VACCINES DO NOT KILL VIRUSES. Vaccines greatly reduce the risk of infection by working with the body’s natural defences to safely develop immunity to disease. Vaccines help develop immunity by imitating an infection. This type of artifical infection, however, almost never causes illness, but it does cause the immune system to produce T-lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell) and once the imitation infection goes away, the body is left with a supply of “memory†T-lymphocytes, as well as B-lymphocytes and antibodies that will remember how to fight that disease in the future. However, it typically takes a few weeks for the body to produce T-lymphocytes and B-lymphocytes after vaccination. So, it is possible that a virus infection just before or just after vaccination could develop symptoms and get a disease, because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection. For more information on vaccines: www.cdc.gov/vaccines/conversations

PARAMYXO KO is NOT a vaccine but it kills paramyxo virus.

So how effective is PARAMYXO KO?

PARAMYXO KO ingredients were used in a study to evaluate their effectiveness on the course of experimental PPMV-1 infection in pigeons. Pigeons, free from pigeon paramyxo virus, were artificially infected with a milder form of pigeon paramyxo virus and the birds all developed the usual symptoms. After an incubation period of 7 days PARAMYXO KO ingredients were added to the drinking water at 10ml/litre for 7 a further 7 days. The symptons of paramyxo virus disappeared and some pigeons were autopsied. The results demonstrated that PARAMYXO KO ingredients inhibited PPMV-1 replication decreasing viral copy numbers in the pigeon organs (heart, kidney, brain and intestines) when compared to pigeons which did not receive the PARAMYXO KO ingredients. The results of this study confirmed the antiviral effects of PARAMYXO KO ingredients in pigeons infected with PPMV-1. Indeed, other pigeon viruses such as andenovirus and pigeon circovirus (PiCV ISone of the viruses responsible in part for Young Bird Sickness Syndrome, YBSS) are also likely to respond well to PARAMYXO KO ingredients. Other more complex pigeon diseases caused by a number of mixed infective organisms, including viruses (mostly PiCV), pose a much more serious problem in pigeon breeding than single infections.

PARAMYXO KO ​has also other important properties including antimicrobial activity.

That is really a complete waste of money.

Whatever. Many lofts never vaccinate. Just sign each others card so to speak.

Was a time when Nature took care of all and every thing. Birds immunity and constitution ample.

Personally I have often thought Novice that it is a waste of time … Mind makes money for the makers eh1 Also no doubt a few names that recommend them. Like the vast majority of Ailment healers eh!