Time For Thoughts Eh!

Roland

I don't personally believe every cloud has a silver lining. However, often feel that certain happenings can bring about change—both for the better, or not so good.

Now in the unlikely event, racing will be curtailed to a smaller, or more likely a greater extent, this will - maybe - give sway to new thoughts and happenings.

Now, what could I do differently? Is there reasoning, a blessing that could happen. Maybe one formerly enters the head. Perhaps some adages are no more than 'Old adages'.

Could I - now having time - put reasoning of new thoughts into action?

One thing I found, personally, and very helpful, indeed good was letting the y/b's just be themselves. No training - none needed - left to own devices and contentment. Gaining a natural love of home. Indeed Territory! Happy to enjoy the 'Hotel of Safety' I provided.

Yes, another good thing - first off - there will be losses off the top of those not liking or taking to your system. That's for sure, but then losses will become well less over the next year or two, even none! Yes, you will gain by having birds wanting to be there. Yes, want to be there and having a 'Love of Home'!

The need to let out?! Well, not needed, and can / will mean B.O.P. is going hungry. Now that in its self is a bonus! Agreed the youngsters first off will need letting out. To gain where they are and

Building love and protection is of the most all-important 'Pecking order.

Just for a starter, eh! Off the top of my head granted, but! How much and many other thoughts can be put forward, too in this enforced lay off.

It is an ill wind that blows no good, that's for sure!

I agree with the BOP been left to fend for themselves we have been sending them meals on wheels for far too long but this will only work if all fanciers keep their birds isolated for a couple of months while BOP are feeding ? I cant see this happening regards peter

And Fend for themselves they will ! Anyone who thinks for a second that not racing or exercising pigeons will make a impact on the bop population is totally deluded !!

Doohead, that is a fact for sure. Sadly.

But maybe, just maybe, they will move over and give up on the local lofts... well for a short time. Am afraid that they will soon be back..

I know, if the birds are out, most wouldn't be bothered where they got the breakfast eh!

Yet, many birds would be there next season to race. Now I know for sure, that 'Just racing' and no training, even letting out will and does have very beneficial results.

Dal12 I certainly don't disagree that that may have been the case.

However, as I stated, a new system does take a season or two for the birds to adapt.

When in Canada, lofts I visited often had their birds in for months at a time. Indeed till two weeks or so before the first race. Others longer or shorter. Hence a proof that 'Holding up' and what not has no detrimental harm in the least.

Of course one must, and does as they feel fit Of for the very best for their birds! That said, to keep and interest will be the key for Next season and the seasons after, hopefully.

As a 'Soothsayer' I fear that this season will by and large be lost. Maybe a little saved... However I'm sad to say I fear no racing whatsoever will be the outcome.

Will some or many disband the sport? I, again, fear there will be many packing up. Sadly.

We must take in hand just what we can and can't do. How to keep an interest and vested way of moving on and forward.

'The Fife Federation Y/B Sale which was cancelled due to restrictions imposed by the SHU will now go ahead on Pigeon Basics. The Fife Federation Officials would like to thank Archie and Pigeon Basics for allowing us to do the Sale online. It will run from 18.00 on Sunday the 5th April and finish at 21.00 on Sunday 12th April with the 5 minute rule applying, with the site clock having the final say. The sale list has been moved to the Auctions Topic. Once payment has been received donors details will be passed to the winning bidder.

Yes another way forward thinking. Well done. I believe, hope that this id just the tip of an ice berg in our endeavours to combat and get over many obstacles. A way forward.

Many other good ideas will -I hope and believe - will show their heads!

J.M.O.

Edited by Roland

What I see on this thread is that an experienced and successful fancier states that he has never done any good with doos that have not been trained or raced in their birth year.

Another equally experienced fancier wins big with a two year old bird on its first time in a basket.

Interesting!

Roads and causeway's that lead to Rome Eh Walt.

I feel, that one or two, or many changes may, and perhaps should be thought in this enforced break. Indeed and some put to the tests. Folks get comfortable with habits, good or bad. They also, then, hate change. Of course, adages abound either and anyway.

If we are to lose this season's racing or most of it, I say and ask Can thoughts, aimed for the better in both the sport and it's well being be a way forward? Is there reasoning for the betterment of our birds and their'welfare, that …

We have a close season in as much we can't and don't race in the close season. Events, sadly now are on the wane. Again attending meeting etc. is via sparse numbers only. Thoughts and practices are then paramount to gear the birds for the next season. Could there be new thoughts, in this enforced break to help the pigeons and us? Perhaps forward an opinion, a thought I certainly don't think it would hurt, let alone be a waste of time.

I feel, belief, that many thoughts are set forth with a happening(s) related or not. Valid reasons or not as the case may be. Of course, they are.

For instance, nigh every year now, many fanciers are devastated with losses. Especially with Y'b's!

Many say I bred 60 or even a hundred and finished up with 12 or 219 etc.

Now one must take that on board as a fact!

So one could beg the question, would the results be the same if never trained or raced!

The quick and straight forward answer, off the cuff, would be 'Weer they would be worse'!

I ask then 'Why'?

So those trained are also lost in vast numbers!

; as I stated in the first post. Yes when I started just sending yearlings and two years old, - though losses to be fair and honest weren't too bad. Indeed I would wager better than most over fanciers by far!

Was a return to past proven days, when hardly anyone ever trained, yet flew the programs with distinction. Yes, some, like today were better flyers. But the worse thing - or in reality the best - was the deciding what had to make room. Sorry but a fact.

Likewise, and truthful, my losses got less each year! Indeed 5-10% tops.

Like I say, it sorts the chaff from the corn. Soon only birds that like the system, and want to be at the place they love, where they feel warm safe and above all, contented, besides and satisfied and even unbeknown Thankful lol. Yes then are always there.

Remember, the more times sent, obviously the more chances of losses. Whether around the loft now too.