The Joe Murphy Column 5/3/20

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

I was sorry to read in the BHW 28th February issue that Jim and Ann Donaldson of Peterhead are giving up the birds. I first met them when I was a lorry driver delivering kitchens to various shops throughout the north of Scotland. I tried to get to Peterhead on Wednesday night as I met up with a good pal Jim Wiseman who also kept the pigeons. Jim would often invite Irvine Buchan round to his house and we spoke about pigeons, then later on we were invited to Jim and Ann home and sometimes George Taylor would join us. Make no mistake about it Ann Donaldson was as keen on the birds as Jim and she would often put in her tuppence worth when we had these discussions. She has also been a great help to Jim over the years as she would attend to the birds if he was not keeping well. Yes, we had some great times discussing every aspect of our sport and our friendships have continued to this day. I remember they came down to the SNFC race marking station in Kennoway (where I was convenor) and after the birds were away in the transporter I took them to meet up with Dennis Dall in Ladybank. They purchased a blue cock from Dennis who turned out to be a fantastic stock cock breeding 7 x 1st North section winners, 2 x 4th, a 7th 8th & 9th section winners. He was also the sire of Donnann winner of 1st open SNFC Sartilly flying 605 miles when paired to the Rennes Hen. This pair along with their legendary Circus Boy became the backbone of the Donaldson colony. Then of course they had the famous Reims Girl a winner of a SNFC Gold Award for winning 5 times from France into Peterhead she won from Reims 620 miles, Tours 707 miles and was one of the best long distance pigeons in the UK at that time. I could go on and on about the fantastic performances achieved by Jim and Ann however if you read the 28th February BHW issue you will see their achievements for yourself. I wish both Jim and Ann all the best for the future and know they will have the same happy memories as I do of the above evenings we had all those years ago. Scotland has had some outstanding pigeon during the years as mentioned above and I continue to try my best in publishing these in my column in my next instances!!!!

Good SNFC Birds

This week I’m highlighting 2 lofts from section A and section B; the first is Graham Dalgliesh & son Steven from Ecclefechan near Lockerbie. The first pigeon is a blue white flight hen ‘Ashgrove Freda’ SU14S4014 as a yearling she flew to the coast over the next 2 years she competed from Roye and Ypres then in 2018 she won 35th section A 241st from Littlehampton against a convoy of 4482 birds sent by 510 members and she was flying a distance of 315 miles. Then she won 1st section A 81st open from Ypres flying a distance of 388 miles with an entry of 2541 birds entered by 433 members, then last year she was again sent to Ypres flying against 2483 birds sent by 434 fanciers and won 16th section A but no open position however she only requires on more section diploma from over the channel to gain her Silver Award. She is a Vandenabeele and we wish her luck for the future. The partnerships 2nd pigeon is a blue bar hen SU15S3180 who won 72nd open from an entry of 747 birds sent by 186 members to Roye in 2018 but did not win a section prize flying 449 miles, then last year she scored twice winning 36th section A 173rd open from Buckingham from an entry of 3876 birds sent by 465 members flying 231 miles. She was then sent to the Gold Cup race with 1251 birds competing entered by 358 members to Burdinne and she won 2nd section A 7th open flying 466 miles she is a Staff Van Reet from bloodlines obtained from Rab Anderson of Kirkintilloch. My next bird is a blue cock SU13S 4183 raced by Mr & Mrs Guenther & grandson from Dumfries as a 3 year old in 2016 he was sent to the Buckingham race with an entry of 4328 birds sent by 521 members and won 18th section A 41st open flying a distance of 238 miles. Then in 2017 he was sent to Bedhampton which had an entry of 6065 birds sent by 634 members and won 19th section A 89th open flying 311 miles then last year he was again sent to Buckingham with an entry of 3876 birds sent by 465 members and won 32nd section A 160th open. We wish the Guenther family all the best with him in 2020 season. My next 2 pigeons come from the loft of George McLain of Duns the first is a blue bar hen NEHU2015BOR2091 who as a 2 year old from Bedhampton which had an entry of 6065 birds sent by 634 members and won 77th section B 287th open flying 340 miles. The following year she was sent to Buckingham which had an entry of 2941 birds sent by 441 members and won 26th section B 192nd open flying 262 miles. Then in 2019 she was to the fore winning 4th section B 6th open Buckingham flying against a convoy of 3876 birds entered by 465 members. George also has a blue bar cock NEHU2016BOR1725 who also has won 3 times from inland nationals. In 2017 he won 309th open no section prize from Buckingham flying 262 miles against a convoy of 4170 birds sent by 495 members, the following year he was back to the same race point and this time he won 20th section B 161st open flying against 2941 birds sent by 441 members. Then last year he was to the front winning 3rd section B 7th open in the Maidstone national flying 333 miles from an entry of 2957 birds sent by 421members. He was sent to the national sitting on 5 day eggs. His sire is a ½ brother to 1st section young bird winner in 2011, while his dam was from Mr & Mrs A Forrest of Ratho. We now move further north to double 1st open SNFC Nantes national winner Jim Sanderson of Pathhead who has a pied hen SU15P2826 who has won 4 times in national races her performance are as follows; as a yearling she won 130th section B 322nd open from Littlehampton flying 364 miles against a convoy of 4482 birds sent by 510 members. (While checking this result I noticed that Jim was also 340th open 137th section B but this time is was a red cock with the same ring number as the blue hen so therefore this is a mistake!!!. In 2017 from the Bedhampton race the pied hen 2826 now won 32nd section B 106th open flying 356 miles from an entry of 6065 birds entered by 634 members. In 2018 she was sent across the channel to Reims a distance of 545 miles and she won 8th section B 22nd open from an entry of 382 birds sent by 129 members. Last year she was sent to Buckingham a distance of 279 miles but did not win a section prize however made the open result winning 373rd open against 3876 birds competing sent by 465 members. Sorry to mention the above regarding the Littlehampton result and this has maybe been rectified but in the 2017 year book it states the above hence the reason I have highlighted it.

ProudJimandAnnwithaSNFCGoldAward.

ProudJimandAnnwithaSNFCGoldAward.jpg

SartillyAnn

SartillyAnn.jpg

Joe’s Joke

Two guys are walking through a game park & they come across a lion that has not eaten for days. The lion starts chasing the two men. They run as fast as they can and the one guy starts getting tired and decides to say a prayer, "Please turn this lion into a Christian, Lord." He looks to see if the lion is still chasing then and sees the lion on its knees. Happy to see his prayer answered, he turns around and heads towards the lion. As he comes closer to the lion, he hears it saying a prayer: "Thank you Lord for the food I am about to receive."

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view online editions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.com www.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy