The Joe Murphy Column 23/1/2020

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

Received an email from John Staddon who wrote ‘Hi Joe just a few lines on the piece about young bird losses from Les Wellburn in your article this week, he is spot on and is 100% correct in all he says. We never train on the line of flight and our losses are very small and in my opinion health is the number one issue with all young bird losses. We enjoy your articles every week keep it up and your weekly jokes do make us laugh. What a cracker of a pigeon you are giving to the Show of the Year charity it should make quite a good sum for the charity. May we wish a Happy New Year to you Margaret and Kevin kindest regards John and David’? My thanks to John for his kind words and may we wish them every success in 2020 with their wonderful team of pigeons. My good mate Guy Reed also commented on Les’s comments and wrote ‘I liked Les comments in your article and I can confirm that his theories have been evident hear as my colleagues play he has described but I do not and my mates lost all their young birds and I still have got the most of mine this year. They go out for hours and play in the field and some days disappear for 2 hours. I don’t know if they leave the island but I train them hear and they get a couple from the mainland with John Black who takes them 50 miles north east of London. I’m going to stay in the ‘Old School’ Joe we are too old to change things nowadays.

Hendry Mair of Irvine

I have made some very dear friend within the pigeon sport over the years and one of these, who is very close to me is the 1000 mile man himself Henry Mair of Irvine with his ‘Lionheart’ family of birds. We travelled together to visit the ‘Legend’ himself the great Jim Biss of Norwich; whose 6 national winners contained some of Henry’s bloodlines. Henry has also had winners reported from all over the UK from Lerwick, Rennes & Pau race points with birds containing his bloodlines. Henry has taken seriously ill and was in hospital with Sepsis and was in and out of conscious and the doctors told him there was NO plan B. Thus proving how seriously ill he was. He then caught a double urine infection which was horrendous; however I’m glad to say that he has been allowed home from the hospital, but is still in a very poor condition. His poor wife Etta and their children are about off their heads with worry and all they want is to have Henry back to good health. So an EMERGINCY decision was made that ALL his pigeons would be given away FREE OF CHARGE. Bloodlines were Jock Reid; John Kirkpatrick; Jim Biss; Marley Westrop; plus birds from Kings Cup winners and SNFC Gold Award winners. As my articles were away to the pigeon press by the time Henry contacted me I then forwarded these details onto the Web sites I subscribe too. Henry phoned to inform me that ALL birds were all away and he wished to thank Jimmy Rice of Irvine who without his help Henry and Etta would have been lost. As we all know Henry has advertised in the pigeon papers for many years so it will be sad not to see his adverts appear. We wish him the best of health for the future and hopefully he and Etta can enjoy their time together without all the worry about the pigeons, good luck my dear old friend; yours forever Joe M.

Blackpool Show

I’m afraid that I will not be attending the show this year, but I know that Dave Brown of Woodburn who flies as Brown & Black partnership is hoping to attend. Dave had a very bad foot injury and has struggled for the past months however the pull of the Show of the Year is just too much and he hopes to attend. If you make it Dave I hope you have a good time and watch that no one stands on that foot.

Good SNFC Birds

Received an email from George Briggs of Dundee who wrote saying; ‘Hi Joe, I’ve just read in your column about no one sending any details about their birds so here is one of mine, a blue cock named ‘Fergie’ after my late father in law Matt Ferguson. He is a son of a bird you mentioned before in your column, and has won the following positions. In 2017 as a yearling he flew from the Buckingham race he won 383rd open flying 320 miles from an entry of 4170 birds. In 2018 he was again sent to Buckingham and won 270th open 46th section C from a convoy of 3576 birds. Then in 2019 as a 3 year old he was again sent to Buckingham and won 211th open 77th section C from an entry of 3876 birds, he was then sent to the SNFC Gold Cup race from Burdinne and won 22nd section C flying 526 miles from a convoy of 1251 birds. His sister won 38th open 16th section C from the Roye national flying 526 miles in 2019. The breeding is a stock pair bred by Stuart Maskame of Peterhead which includes Irvine Buchan, Ritchie & Whyte and Stuarts own Sporting Challenge bird and Silver Award winner ‘Maverick’. This pair is now responsible for birds to win 9 SNFC inland tickets and 5 SNFC channel awards. George also informed me that he and his wife Doreen became grandparents for the first time when their daughter Lisa and dad Lee had a little girl Ruby. George remembers me taking a photograph of Lisa about 26 years ago at the Butlin’s show when she won the under 5’s competition. I hope you don’t mind me sending you these details on Fergie or pictures on Ruby Joe: keep up the good work in the column yours in sport George Briggs’. There is no problem George and I wish more fanciers would take a leaf out of your book and save me a lot of time going over the national results looking for good birds to publicise in my column. Regarding the photograph of Ruby in her Dundee United top this was my late fathers team while his 2 brothers were Dundee supporters, great memories, once again many thanks George. My next fancier to publicise is Jim Ferguson of Eastriggs in the Solway region, he has a chequer cock SU14S4712 who has won 6 times in the national and requires one more diploma from the channel to obtain his Silver Award, however he needs 2 section diplomas to gain a Bronze award and I hope he achieves this feat. In 2016 he was sent to Littlehampton a distance of 309 miles and won 42nd section A 258th open. Then in 2018 went to Buckingham a distance of 224 miles and won 88th open but no section prize, he was then sent to Maidstone a distance of 304 miles and won 36th section A but no open position he was set up for the Reims race and won 5th section A 30th open flying 502 miles. In 2019 he was again sent to Maidstone and won 9th section A 66th open prior to going to Reims were he won 4th section A 29th open so gaining his 6th national diploma. Jim’s 2nd bird is a chequer cock SU13S5995 who as a 2 year old won 12th section A 182nd open from Portsmouth a distance of 299 miles. Then in 2016 he was sent to Buckingham a distance of 224 miles and won 200th open but no section prize. In 2017 he was sent to the Alencon Gold Cup race and he was to the fore winning 4th section A 7th open flying 473 miles and then in 2019 he was again sent to Buckingham and won 10th section A 39th open so a 4 times national winner and we congratulate Jim on his 2 excellent pigeons.

'Fergie' raced by George Briggs of Dundee see text

'Fergie' raced by George Briggs of Dundee see text.png

Ruby another Dundee United Suporter.

Ruby another Dundee United Suporter.png

The lovely Ruby see text

The lovely Ruby see text.png

Joe’s Joke

A blonde and a redhead have a farm and they have just lost their bull. The women need to buy another, but only have £500. The redhead tells the blonde, "I will go to the market and see if I can find one for under that amount. If I can, I will send you a telegram." She goes to the market and finds one for £499. Having only £1 left, she goes to the telegraph office and finds out that it costs a pound per word. She is stumped on how to tell the blonde to bring the truck and trailer to collect the bull. Finally, she tells the telegraph operator to send the word "comfortable." Sceptical, the operator asks, "How will she know to come with the trailer from just that word?" The redhead replies, "She's a blonde so she reads very slowly: 'Come for ta bull.'"

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view online editions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.com www.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy