Race Birds and Stock Birds

THE FIFER

Stock birds were paired yesterday, we had a few new stock cocks ( bred them ourselves last year for stock) and there are two new stock hens ( former racers, both now 4 years old)

They paired without any problems (touch wood)

The section next to it is the widowhood section of 8 boxes, we raced widowhood cocks last year, this year we're racing widowhood hens - they were paired today. Seven of the hens were in that section last year, so there is one new addition. The largest section-for roundabout cocks and hens, will be paired later.

I am trying work it so my 2nd round hatch mid April as these often prove to be my best babies and compete with fanciers who fly darkness youngsters

I work around 70 days back from that so if I want them to hatch the 20th April I will pair 8 th of Feb as that a Saturday

I have just started to put a few pairs that I am changing partners to allow together for a few hours each

Racers I don't breed from so I mostly love mating, any that are here at the end of the yearling season have to have taken fed cards or in a few of the hens cases that don't race be out of my main 3 stock pairs so what they pick don't matter . I may put 2 of the race cocks eggs under a stock pair to test them as breeders

So racers will go together at the same time as stock and I will remove the hen once they have sat 15 days that should be early March so 5 or 6 weeks to get them going Before the season starts

Will be pairing up February and got new loft with 3 sections so 2 sections will have the nestboxes for my first attempt at widowhood and the other section for the hens when it comes to racing I do the hens with the cocks short time to motivate them before basketing for race. So I’m learning

Will be pairing up February and got new loft with 3 sections so 2 sections will have the nestboxes for my first attempt at widowhood and the other section for the hens when it comes to racing I do the hens with the cocks short time to motivate them before basketing for race. So I’m learning

Best of luck with your plans

• 1 month later...

For the first time in my 42yrs in the sport, I bred my 2020 youngsters in December, and I have to say I am somewhat impressed with them so far.

I have a new 3 section loft with one section housing 9 pair of stock. I have not bred off any of the race team this year.

In the past, I have often found later bred (end April start May) youngsters perform well and the moult doesn't effect the season.

My intention, as with previous years, is to send the youngsters to the come back races towards the end of the old bird season, I find this helps reduce losses.