Club Funds/books/audit

REDCHEQHEN

Both my Clubs and Feds elect auditors at their AGM. The only stipulation at Federation level is that they cannot be Members of the Executive and preferably not Members of Committee either.

What is the importance of an auditor? The auditors safeguard the Secretary and Treasurer by checking their books and the Balance Sheet providing a proof of propriety. They also safeguard the Club / Society from any extended fraud since, if they perform their duty correctly, any fraud would be found during that year. Most Secretaries and treasurers are trustworthy, but mistakes can be made and the auditors should be able to find and correct them. :)

Unbelievable! REDCHEQHEN. All clubs I have been in have done so. (Sorry one had to change as I relate to later) Indeed after studying an account from the auditors to discuss in any other business and then at the A.G.M. One brilliant Secretary was once ordered to pay back part of his phone bills as it was all in 'Pigeons Regard'.

Another time where we had bought certain things were debated and changed to lesser charged suppliers.

I put forward once, after what I thought was stupid, that the Sec and treasurer couldn't be man and wife etc. Two names on every cheque and further another appointed member was to look at it before spent … Not the day to day running obviously.

Two signatures from not related persons helps to lessen any fraud. Auditors safe guard too the Sec/ Treasurer too.

We, of course, vote for and trust designated positions. Of course we do … But temptation will often raise it ugly head.

Have seen first hand a few unbelievable happenings when club Secs have swindled money. I think any and all safe guards should be put into place in every club and Federation to not only safe guard the clubs etc. BUT also the men / woman of elected positions.

Edited by Roland