Snfc Gold Cup 1947

Delboy

See the race the west had.post-2367-15791813234533_thumb.jpeg

Does it show the breakdown of East ,West and south sections?I think there were more doos in the west in those days.Also do you see the age of the doos timed in, won't be many nowadays sent at those ages and they weren't flying from the east route.

Just a wee bit of info about my dads 3rd west section bird, it only had 3 races prior to this being in the clock every time, the year before this bird flew Weymouth approx. 365 miles to Salsburgh timing at 10.30pm after 16.5 hours in the wing.

Just a wee bit of info about my dads 3rd west section bird, it only had 3 races prior to this being in the clock every time, the year before this bird flew Weymouth approx. 365 miles to Salsburgh timing at 10.30pm after 16.5 hours in the wing.

Superb

Does it show the breakdown of East ,West and south sections?I think there were more doos in the west in those days.Also do you see the age of the doos timed in, won't be many nowadays sent at those ages and they weren't flying from the east route.

This photo is taken from the bhw this week m8, no breakdown etc

Good bit of history there Derek :smiling-scarecrow-329:

There is a photo of the 2nd open winner in last week's RP, Billy Wortley's article.

Is the 22nd open winner your grandfather ?

Aye it is Brian, he really did well at the Gold cup.He returned his clock 40 years in a row, didn't score in them all but to time every year is some feat imo.

Great post, been looking at the prize money, bearing in mind WW2 had just finished 2yrs before and the nation was probably still being rationed, there was a good amount of pools to be won.

Also some birds seem to have more than one ring number? Does anyone know the reason for this?

Great post, been looking at the prize money, bearing in mind WW2 had just finished 2yrs before and the nation was probably still being rationed, there was a good amount of pools to be won.

Also some birds seem to have more than one ring number? Does anyone know the reason for this?

The Racing pigeon and homing world used to sell rings and there would be special prizes for birds carrying those rings.The Scottish national also used to issue rings SN.An old friend of mine used to get some SN rings and double ring some YBs that he fancied would do the distance.Just trying to remember the last year he had them, think it was 97.

The Racing pigeon and homing world used to sell rings and there would be special prizes for birds carrying those rings.The Scottish national also used to issue rings SN.An old friend of mine used to get some SN rings and double ring some YBs that he fancied would do the distance.Just trying to remember the last year he had them, think it was 97.

OK Thanks.

541 miles on the day with a velocity or 1124!

Was a time when nearly every fancier sent the distance and did the programme. With far, far better returns than today. In deed when 24 pigeons was classed nigh as a 'Mob Flyer'. Yes when the biggest worry, and thought provoking aspect at seasons end was what birds would have to go … and getting ready for the shows.

Great post Delboy, lovely to see.

True we had smashes and long hard distance in heavy weather too in them days. Yes many report and for 3/6p (17p) were brought back on the train :)

Edited by Roland