Rabbie Burn's Night

Roland

Soon be here eh!

Been and spent time at Burn's Museums... Where he lived etc.

Near us is a town (Corby) referred to as 'Mini Scotland' as many may note I speak of at times. Most Scottish people I speak too in Scotland well know of Corby!

Indeed a couple of years back I visited Bewicke up to Frazerbough. Unbelievably the first person I spoke too- Hotel Manger, came from Corby and knew Kettering well of course. We dined out... you guessed it, the boss came from Corby... Likewise In Aberdeen, the hotel manager came from Corby … you couldn't make it up

Incidentally I was in their' pigeon club for a few years too...

It always been in our federation. Well in the East at that. Had two clubs at one time with both having over 40 members each-

Any way I digest again lol.

Often spoke regards Robbie's poems etc. with many a Scotsman.

Done as an entertainer many clubs and nights out too... whether to stand for the 'Queen' or not lol.

Now Corby of course celebrate the Burn's night real well.

Now one thing that really stands out in my mind is that they pay real high for a reader, speaker from Ayrshire or such shire or such. They explained that in English, or such, much of the poem's character, meanings Doesn't stand like it really should, the full blend of the poem etc. and the drift and meaning.

Just thought I'd mention it as I diffable on lol. But have a good night all!.. Don't shoot too many Hahhis… let the breed and … lol

Edited by Roland

Yes soon be here Roland

I done an Ode to burns for many years in a hotel/ pub my friend owned before he moved to Spain

He is now back home and we turned a former tartan/ tweed shop into a tapas bar and sports bar

So we are having a burns night once again

I'm always last up

I make stories up regarding local happenings characters etc all very light hearted ,they need to be thick skinned lol

No use sitting thinking of what to say

It just comes at odd moments like walking the dog

This years story came to me out of the blue

I have called it The Advancement of Mankind

Sure it will bring the house down

Oh man while in thy youthful years how prodigal of time

Misspending all thy precious hours thy glorious youthful prime

Licentious pleasures hold the sway lascivious passions burn

Which tenfold force gives natures law

That man was made to mourn.

How do you like thatRoland my friend as true now as it was when Robert wrote it

I like it Walter, as I also like truth.

Was one time, after leaving where ROb once lived and went up to Oban. A glorious place too is that. Joyce and I went to a club and enjoyed our selve... as we always tend to. Was a Comedian on there. Boy was he funny. He had them rolling off their chairs laughing. Mind Joyce and I never understood a single word he spoke ... But knew of course he was good and well appreciated. Hence the Dialect to Roberts poem's I guess add that extra bit of flavour.

You’ve hurt your finger? Puir wee man!

Your pinkie? Deary me!

Noo, juist you haud it that wey till

I get my specs and see!

My, so it is – and there’s the skelf!

Noo, dinna greet nae mair.

See there – my needle’s gotten’t out!

I’m sure that wasna sair?

And noo, to make it hale the morn,

Put on a wee bit saw,

And tie a Bonnie hankie roun’t

Noo, there na – rin awa’!

Your finger sair ana’? Ye rogue,

You’re only lettin’ on.

Weel, weel, then – see noo, there ye are,

Row’d up the same as John!

heres one we had to do for burns night at school

Nice one. A lot more easy for an English man to read, than to hear. I see, have realised obviously only too well why Rabbie's local dialect was/is so important. Hence why the Scots down here pay a good fee to bring down a man with good - and I will say - natural accent of the area.

Of course, it goes without saying, that Burns is recognised the world over for a great poet.

To translate the words to English- as spoken - would and will make no sense. But that in no way whatsoever distracts from the man's genius!

Yes, and I - like most will never know. I also feel that whatever a Scot decides on, he with stick rigid with. Defend it. Proclaim as a right... Like most of the human kind.

Like when I was in Berwick (I believe it was- a while back now) when I read the advert regards the Scots calling the English Sassenachs!

I went in, and explained that that was wrong... Yet intended some what as an supposedly insult etc.

The truth is that it wasn't, nor is an Englishman. It derived from when the Jacobite's etc. uprising - calling the Scottish lowlanders Sassenachs! A Scottish Lowlander. Now so many say if taken to task 'Weer! Well an English man is from the lowlands' lol

Truth is many myths become legends, and many legends become myths. That's for sure.

Reading his poems, and their truth, oft so simply put, I believe that he would have been a great politician today :drinking-coffee-200::emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Edited by Roland