The Joe Murphy Column 3/1/2020,

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

My I wish all readers of the column all a Happy New Year and let us hope 2020 is a better year with the birds, especially regarding young birds as last year will go down as the WORST losses in young bird history. I received an email from Les Wellburn regarding my article of the 13th December on this subject and Les replied saying. ‘I’ve just read your article re losses cannot agree with your assessment. The reason for losses is much closer to home, and is THE FANCIER; Why? Because today we have youngsters put on the darkness system something not heard of years ago. Some fanciers today cannot remember when we released youngsters they would fly out of sight many times over an hour or so. Today many fanciers cannot get them off the ground and they fly round their loft at 100 miles an hour and never leave the area - A Fact. Then we have fanciers panicking and it’s a mad dash to get them trained before first race. Training now is done on a line where as in the old days we trained the youngsters from all points of the compass. So today when they get off line they are lost never to be seen again. Feeding has also changed; basically nowadays it is small seeds; gone are the days when they were fed a heavier mixture which gave them enough energy so that if they got off line they had something on board to get them home. Another factor is breeding off pigeons with no racing experience; bred off birds that have never raced but with a flashy pedigree. Buyer Beware! Once again they have no homing instinct and fanciers today do not even breed off the birds in their race team and if they did they would find they would get much better returns. Another big factor is breeder/buyers who advertise today, they are even more popular. So we buy youngsters put them in with our own and hey presto a week later major problems with health and sickness and the damage has been done. Today youngsters are plagued with YBS never heard of before should be renamed and called FANCIER ABUSE brought on by ourselves as listed above. We need to toughen up stop making excuses for the problems we have brought upon ourselves. Fanciers should adopt a traffic light system:

RED = Not flying, or sick, no training, Not Fit to Be Raced

AMBER = Birds flying, recovered from sickness. Partially trained, but not ready to be raced.

GREEN = Birds flying well round loft, well trained, no sickness and are fit to be raced.

If you have any doubts about your birds then ask a mate round to see your birds flying - for a 2nd opinion.

I was laughed at - when I said this at a club meeting but the main problem is that if birds are sent to race in the RED or AMBER condition which fanciers do. When liberated they take the rest of the convoy down with them WHICH IS A FACT

Kindest regards Less Wellburn.

Auction

I was asked if I could inform fanciers that Page Brothers of Pickering North Yorkshire are holding a sale on Sunday 12th January 2020 in Newmains Flying Club ML2 9BD with viewing at 11-30 sale starts at 13-00 hours. Phone and commission birds to Auctioneer Hamish Ferguson on 07484641686, there will be 50 birds in the auction with the opening bid starting at £40.00. In the auction children and grandchildren of Vandenabeele national winners; Children from direct Hardy Kruger’s; Direct from ‘Gladiator’ 1st & 2nd NPO; Grand children from ‘Spitfire’ 3 x 1st, 4 x 2nd, average birdage 12000+; direct from super-breeder ‘Chopper’ (same line as ‘Spitfire). Also the line of ‘De Mirakal’ will be strong in this auction.

My Show of the Year Bird 2020

I have been privileged to be a scribe for the BHW for 44 years in 2020 and consider it a great pleasure to donate a pigeon to the Show of the Year at Blackpool. Only the best is good enough for this charity sale therefore I have donated one of my best stock cocks in the belief that he will continue to breed the goods for his new owner and believe me I cannot give any better so good luck to his new owner. I named this chequer cock ‘Brockamp Ian’ as he was bred by my good friends Ian Crammond and Nigel Langstaff of Fontwell. He is very well bred and is perfect for crossing into any fancier’s family of good distance pigeons. I used him as a cross and Kevin has done very well with his offspring as you will see further on. As many of you will know Ian Crammond & Nigel Langstaff were a very successful racing partnership and won 3 x 1st London SECC, 1st BICC, 1st open NFC Saintes & Messac, 1st BBC Barcelona; 1st section NFC several times.

‘Brockamp Ian’ is inbred to the very best of Brockamp’s International Winning Birds; Euro Diamond; Minstrel; Armstrong; Hannah; Monica, Blauer Barcelona.

This very special cock was named ‘Brockamp Ian’ after my dear friend Ian Crammond who passed at Christmas 2017. He has turned out to be an exceptional breeding cock, and is sire of 1st club 10th east section Arniston; 1st club 3rd east section Lauder; 1st club (by 115 ypm) 1st federation (by 20ypm) 7th Combine 2957 birds Newark flying 250 miles. He is also sire of 9th federation 19th section C 46th SNFC Littlehampton 4482 birds open velocity 1081ypm. He is also grand sire of 25th section C 76th open (Last bird timed on the day at 22-44 in darkness) from a 06-00am liberation with the SNFC from Roye in 2019 flying a distance of 523 miles and recorded a velocity of 930ypm. Now for some details of his breeding; ‘Brockamp Ian’ sire GB09T49829 is bred from a grandson of Euro Diamond when mated to a grand-daughter of Armstrong 1st International Perpignan 17, 584 birds. Granddam is from a daughter of Tiger 1st national St Pollen 9990 birds, when mated to a daughter of Armstrong 1st international Perpignan 17.584 birds. Dam of Brockamp Ian: is NWHU09E2010 bred by Jutla Brothers: Sire is a son of Euro Diamond when mated to sister to Minstrel; she is a ½ to Euro Diamond, Hannah, Blauer Barcelona and Monica: Dam of Jutla Brothers hen was daughter of ‘ACE 21’ winner of 1st national ACE pigeon Marathon 06; winner of 47th national Perpignan, 65th national Barcelona, 71st national Carcassonne, 148th national Marseille. When mated to a daughter of Armstrong 1st International Perpignan 17, 584 birds. So I think you will agree he is bred in the purple and more importantly (as far as I’m concerned) he is breeding the goods and I wish whoever purchases him all the best for the future with him as I have already said ‘I cannot give this charity sale a better bird’ Joe Murphy.

GB14J 13230 C

GB14J 13230 C.jpg

Brockamp Ian GB14J 13230

Brockamp Ian GB14J 13230.JPG

SNFC Good Birds

I’ve been going over the national results when I have had time and it is quite interesting to note that there are 174 birds that have won 3 times (in some instances more) in the national races. I don’t know if I will cover all of these during the winter time and I have asked fanciers to send in some details of their birds, but this has fallen on deaf ears as NO ONE has done so. The thing that amuses me it I’m not the one getting the publicity for my efforts it is these birds and their owners. But believe me a little information on their birds would make it a little more interesting that is all I ask. I’m going to start off with one of the top partnerships in Scotland at the moment the father and son partnership of Sinclair Thomson & son of Port Seton. Their blue bar hen SU17P4932 has won 5 times in the national with 3 of them from over the channel so therefore she has won her SNFC Silver Award. As a yearling she was sent to Maidstone a distance of 359 miles and won 18th section B 33rd open from an entry of 3001 birds sent by 444 members. She then went to the Ypres race and she won 12th section B 41st open flying 428 miles against 2541 birds submitted by 433 members. Then in 2019 she had the same routine from the same race points and from Maidstone were she did not gain a section prize but was 154th open from an entry of 2957 birds contested by 421 members; then she was sent into the Ypres race and she won 24th section B 47th open participating against 2483 birds contested by 434 members and she was then set up for the Roye national and she was to the fore winning 5th section B 9th open flying 494 miles from an entry of 334 birds enrolled by 127 members. This last win from over the channel wins her a SNFC Silver Award which the partnership collected at the annual presentation along with their Gold Award won by their dark chequer cock. We now come to the Eastriggs loft of Jim Ferguson who has 2 excellent chequer cocks: the first one I’m going to highlight is SU14S4712 who has won 6 times in 6 nationals however requires one more channel section prize to win a Silver Award. As a 2 year old he was sent to Littlehampton and won 42nd section A 258th open flying 309 miles from an entry of 4482 birds enrolled by 510 participants. Then in 2018 he competed in 3 national races from the Buckingham race flying a distance of 224 miles he won 88th open but no section prize from an entry of 2941 birds enrolled by 441 colleagues. He then went to Maidstone a distance of 304 miles with an entry of 3001 birds sent by a 444 membership and won 36th section A prize but unfortunately he did not win an open certificate. He was then set up for the Reims raced a distance of 502 miles and he was to the fore winning 5th section A 30th open from an entry of 382 birds submitted by 129 lofts. In 2019 he was again set up for the Maidstone race point with an entry of 2957 birds contested by 421 members and he won 9th section A 66th open. He was then sent to Reims a distance of 502 miles and he won 4th section A 29th open from an entry of 334 birds submitted by 127 members. My next pigeon highlighted from Jim’s Eastriggs loft is SU13S5995 who has won 4 times in the national and requires more diplomas to again a national award. As a 2 year old this chequer cock won 12th section A 182nd open from the Portsmouth race point a distance of 299 miles when an entry of 4767 birds competed. Then in 2016 he was set up for Buckingham a distance of 224 miles and he won 200th open but no section prize from an entry of 4328 birds enlisted by 521 members. The following year 2017 he was sent to the Alencon race and was right to the fore winning 4th section A 7th open flying 473 miles from a contest of 1472 birds submitted by 403 members. Then in 2019 he was once again set up for the Buckingham national and he won 10th section A 39th open from an entry of 3876 birds enlisted by 465 members. Our congratulations go to Jim on his 2 chequer cocks highlighted above and I hope they go on to achieve more glory in this New Year 2020.

Joe’s Joke

A woman named Shirley was from Beverly Hills. One day, she had a heart attack and was taken to Cedars Sinai Hospital. While on the operating table, she had a near death experience. She saw God and asked, “Is this it?” God said, “No, you have another 30 to 40 years to live.” Upon her recovery, she decided to stay in the hospital and have collagen shots, cheek implants, a face lift, liposuction, and breast augmentation. She even had someone dye her hair. She figured since she had another 30 to 40 years, she might as well make the most of it. She walked out of Cedars Sinai lobby after the last operation, and was killed by an ambulance speeding up to the hospital. She arrived in front of God and said, “I thought you said I had another 30 to 40 years?” God replied, “Shirley! I’m sorry but I didn’t recognize you!”

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view online editions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.com www.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy