Early Youngsters

neila

I am not one to have early babies due to work I find it easier to have them March weaned onwards for the lighter nights

I was talking to a mate at the weekend who said all his babies will be weaned before the end of January I just wondered what methods fanciers have from weaning to the first race

Do they run the same as spring babies ?

Do you have to train them from April time and keep the going

How do you keep them working around for the period from weaning to July even my late youngsters have enough of flying round home once they are 5 months or so old around August time

How much flying do they do around home from March onwards and more importantly in may and June

Do they run the same but earlier ?

20 mins max...doesn't matter if its March or May. Not sure loft exercise and winning are in the same equation

Thanks for the reply

Do they roam at all in Feb and march

Mine go for hour to two hours for 3 weeks or so in late may or June

Then I just train 15 miles on the line of flight So they out of basket direct to loft once they are 12 weeks old for about 4 weeks

It's good of you to share a method different to mine

Thanks for the reply

Do they roam at all in Feb and march

Mine go for hour to two hours for 3 weeks or so in late may or June

Then I just train 15 miles on the line of flight So they out of basket direct to loft once they are 12 weeks old for about 4 weeks

It's good of you to share a method different to mine

Seldom do they roam. Some years not at all. I have about 4/5 tosses from 10 to 25 miles but some years just a couple. Every year a wee but diffo

• 2 months later...

I don't think it matters when you breed your youngsters, if the hawks are going to have them, they will.

In the past I have bred in Feb, May and July and up until a few years ago never lost a feather, now I m lucky to end up with 25%

This year is the first time pairing up in December and the youngsters are looking great, they are even alert to BOP patrolling the area.

Time will tell.

At this time of year, I guess they are on a form of natural darkness.

They go out just after sun up for an hour and an hour before darkness. Weather permitting of course.