When Buying New Birds

neila

Do any members consider when buying new birds consider the terrain the birds fly in

Would birds that win on the fast south road races in the south if England do the same in the North of Scotland for example

Or would pigeons that win over the water into the north of England and upwards win in the south where the birds hit the water with only a few hours of daylight to cross compared to facing the French coast early in the day like the northern pigeons

Even to sprint level would fast birds flying into flat area like Lincolnshire win into the Welsh valleys etc

Or do you feel good birds will win anywhere

Never done well with unc birds here

I have tried lots of unc birds here I have one hen to show for it she is a good one having bred a fed winner and lots of fed top 10 pigeons and 4 or 5 club winners with different cocks but that's not a great turn out from the amount I tried . I had 6 pairs from one of the very best lofts in that area that win out of turn every year all mine were out of the stock loft of top breeders and not cheap afterb2 years I had one hen that scored in the fed to show for it

For some reason. birds I have tried from the north west of England Staffordshire ,Derbyshire up to Liverpool and Manchester the percentage of good ones is much higher

Not really sure why but I have birds from this area that have hit straight away I guess luck must play some part in it

Tom Williams of Orpington seems to have done well with UNC bloodlines, scoring prominently from NFC Tarbes.

I have never tried distance birds mine are really more up to 350 miles , living on the east of the country I thought they would cover the same terrain racing to the north east in a area of top class fanciers but like Wiley it's not worked for me .

Only birds I have tried from unc were vandenabelle from Ali McLeod of Billingham and they were top notch ,

Distance birds are totally different it takes years to build a family due to the high risk racing but some win for some and not others .

Was you flying these on a route on the east of the country on the south rd ,the same route as Ali McLeod ?

Was you flying these on a route on the east of the country on the south rd ,the same route as Ali McLeod ?

Yes basically the same line and into east Scotland but only flew them for one season into Lanarkshire area and they won a couple of races and positions at club level then I moved to more distance racing .

Still have a g/son Rolls Royce who bred 5 X 1st Feds and some great club & fed birds but he is blind in one eye and can hardly stand but still enjoys his hens company .post-155-15741031509461_thumb.jpeg

Good question this, and one I thought about when I started up in 2017. I live in Hampshire in the south, and set my sights on 500 mile plus racing-Tarbes with the NFC being my ambition. However being from Scotland originally, and being fascinated / captivated by the writings of Rod Adams and his Bourges obsession, I have built a team of birds from pigeons obtained from the best of the SNFC / UNC distance lofts (Rod Adams, Bob Donaldson of Chevington Drift, and W.Kinnear and son Edinburgh)-all winners of the biggest prize at 500 mile plus in those organisations.

I have yet to test them as I spent the last 2 years getting a team of pigeons ready in sufficient number bred from a nucleus of 5 pairs of the best from these lofts-2020 will be my first year pushing them to see what there made of.

Personally I am convinced that well bred pigeons from tried and tested lofts at the distance will do it, no matter where the water is on the journey-time will tell I guess, but looking forward to the undoubted roller coaster of emotion ahead!

I will update this thread in a few years to come when I have come to a conclusion on this one!

Good question this, and one I thought about when I started up in 2017. I live in Hampshire in the south, and set my sights on 500 mile plus racing-Tarbes with the NFC being my ambition. However being from Scotland originally, and being fascinated / captivated by the writings of Rod Adams and his Bourges obsession, I have built a team of birds from pigeons obtained from the best of the SNFC / UNC distance lofts (Rod Adams, Bob Donaldson of Chevington Drift, and W.Kinnear and son Edinburgh)-all winners of the biggest prize at 500 mile plus in those organisations.

I have yet to test them as I spent the last 2 years getting a team of pigeons ready in sufficient number bred from a nucleus of 5 pairs of the best from these lofts-2020 will be my first year pushing them to see what there made of.

Personally I am convinced that well bred pigeons from tried and tested lofts at the distance will do it, no matter where the water is on the journey-time will tell I guess, but looking forward to the undoubted roller coaster of emotion ahead!

I will update this thread in a few years to come when I have come to a conclusion on this one!

Best of luck with your plan

• 2 months later...

I think we all hope we can buy something that will improve our current stock, but many of us have often gone down the road of paperwork... oh I am sure buying off stock that has done the business is a good way forward, but we are still at risk of our own luck and management.

Personally, I think we need to take a leaf out of the past masters who would go and buy the actual winning birds or the parents.

Just recently, I had the opportunity of purchasing birds that had flown Tarbes into Crewe and where possible, the parents. This was sadly an entire clearance sale, but having prior knowledge and doing some research paid dividends when these Dordin & Biss birds came up.

I can only hope I do them justice.