New Loft Advice

Pappa

Hi all,

My dad died recently. He flew the Welsh North Road for years, following on from my grandad, who flew since the '30s. My dad stopped racing 20 years ago, but but kept his pigeons until his death. I've got pigeons in my blood and after mulling it over for a while, I can't possibly get rid of them. My plan is to bring all his (mostly untrained) pigeons to my place and breed a new generation of Thurso and Lerwick winners, if they still fly North Road, haha. :D

Anyway, I'm wondering how best to to structure the loft and how many loft sections you'd recommend. I'd like to give myself the option of flying widowhood and it's likely I might need to keep some of the birds locked up permanently if they don't adjust to the new loft location. From what I understand, you need a minimum of 4 sections for widowhood: breeding cocks, breeding hens, young birds and everything else. I'm guessing I'll also need a section for the birds that keep flying back to my dad's place, so 5 sections in total. Does that sound right? What would you all recommend?

I've got the option of moving his 7' x 14' (actually 2.2m x 4.4 m) loft to mine, which is currently in two sections, or building a new loft from scratch, with space for a loft of about the same dimensions.

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but it's also a bit of a weird shape. The area of the garden that I could put a shed on is about 2.5m x 5m.

area is not that big, have you any room for a washing !ine MOST loft have to be 5m from' you and your neighbours back door

Could be better if you keep them in the original loft, if possible, but no doubt they won't be getting out as you will only be breeding from them ,so a new loft would be OK . Is there fanciers near you who maybe could help you ,is there a local club, you will get plenty help and advice on the site as always many here to advise , so keep in touch

Yeah, there's at least one club left in my town and I know a few fanciers via my dad. The garden area as a whole is probably 6m x 10m, but it's multi-level, so the actual space I could reasonably site a loft is about 2.5m x 5m. I've just been looking into the planning regulations and it seems the 5m rule is that without applying for planning consent, it must be 5m or more from any outside wall of the original dwelling, excluding any extensions that may have been built.

I've spoken to one neighbour and he's happy about it as he used to keep pigeons himself years ago. I'm planning on speaking to the neighbours the other side soon.

Flying the birds on a natural system could be an option if your limited for space, two sections would be required, one for old birds one for ybs... Golden rule don't over crowd. My old bird loft is 12ftx6ft yb loft is 8x6... I keep 10 pair old bird and approx 30 ybs

Hi all,

My dad died recently. He flew the Welsh North Road for years, following on from my grandad, who flew since the '30s. My dad stopped racing 20 years ago, but but kept his pigeons until his death. I've got pigeons in my blood and after mulling it over for a while, I can't possibly get rid of them. My plan is to bring all his (mostly untrained) pigeons to my place and breed a new generation of Thurso and Lerwick winners, if they still fly North Road, haha. :D

Anyway, I'm wondering how best to to structure the loft and how many loft sections you'd recommend. I'd like to give myself the option of flying widowhood and it's likely I might need to keep some of the birds locked up permanently if they don't adjust to the new loft location. From what I understand, you need a minimum of 4 sections for widowhood: breeding cocks, breeding hens, young birds and everything else. I'm guessing I'll also need a section for the birds that keep flying back to my dad's place, so 5 sections in total. Does that sound right? What would you all recommend?

I've got the option of moving his 7' x 14' (actually 2.2m x 4.4 m) loft to mine, which is currently in two sections, or building a new loft from scratch, with space for a loft of about the same dimensions.

Do you have Facebook? There is a few sites with a lot of good information on there, I'm sure you will get the information or help you need there. Good luck with your racing and hopefully your name will be at the top of the sheet. If you dont manage to get the information or help you need, pm me and I will do my best to help you out.

Flying the birds on a natural system could be an option if your limited for space, two sections would be required, one for old birds one for ybs... Golden rule don't over crowd. My old bird loft is 12ftx6ft yb loft is 8x6... I keep 10 pair old bird and approx 30 ybs

Yeah, your probably right. 2 sections would be a lot easier to achieve.