Questionnaire: What Do You Think About Birds Of Prey?

amym389

My name is Amy and I am a third-year student at Nottingham Trent University. I am studying for my BSc Wildlife Conservation degree, and I have created this questionnaire to determine public perceptions of birds of prey across the UK. The data received will be analysed and interpreted for my dissertation. All returned questionnaires will be completely anonymous, so please answer all questions honestly.

‘Birds of prey’ and ‘raptors’ may be used interchangeably throughout.

In total, there are 15 mandatory questions and 6 optional questions. However, if you do not want to answer a question, you do not need to.

It would be massively appreciated if you could fill this in. It only takes a few minutes of your time. Here is the link:

https://ntusurvey.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/pagfrpug6h-11

The perception will be that negative views would come from the population most negatively affected by BOP, which is ourselves, pigeon fanciers. Negative views allow balance. The person is not asking for methods of slaughter or any such type of thing and we all know that is against the law which is why none of us carry out such actions. We are still allowed negative points of view. What about the wild bird feeders? Their gardens can be decimated by sparrowhawks and for this reason, I no longer feed the wild birds openly. Feeding under hedgerows, etc allow some little protection for them. There are also feeders which allow them to enter inside to provide security whilst eating. :)

As a third-year student at Nottingham Trent University,may I ask you a question .

What's your opinion on building artificial nest boxes in areas where it is un-natural for BOP to breed,thus over populating BOP leading to a further decline of our natural wild life,being mostly birds ?

As a third-year student at Nottingham Trent University,may I ask you a question .

What's your opinion on building artificial nest boxes in areas where it is un-natural for BOP to breed,thus over populating BOP leading to a further decline of our nutural wild life,being mostly birds ?

Good question mate. :drinking-coffee-200: :drinking-coffee-200:

What's your opinion on building artificial nest boxes in areas where it is un-natural for BOP to breed,thus over populating BOP leading to a further decline of our natural wild life,being mostly birds ?

Excellent question and one I commented about when replying to the questionaire. :)

Do you not have an artificial nest site at Trent university and could you please post the ring numbers of the unfortunate racers that have been fed to the young at this site please if only to let the owners know what happened to their bird's cheers

Do you not have an artificial nest site at Trent university and could you please post the ring numbers of the unfortunate racers that have been fed to the young at this site please if only to let the owners know what happened to their bird's cheers

now this is the way forward for us as we own these rings in my eyes its a crime to dispose of them without our permission think this is what we should be doing with all the money raised with the pigeon sales charity begins at home after all

will lock this thread just now as not much info re member, have sent him a pm, will see if he answers, he just joined the site, and hasn't answered any of your questions really,

PS most already know how pigeon fanciers feel about bop, if he wants to do anything good, he should go on Facebook with a larger audience and non fanciers,

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I've been inundated with work and have only been getting emails for private messages.

I'm not entirely sure my opinion here is relevant or necessary, but I'll share it so long as the replies are non-aggressive. I agree with the building of artificial nest boxes for BOP, namely the peregrine. There have been studies that show the success of peregrines in urban areas, where they actually do better (survive longer, produce more surviving young, etc.) than in natural areas (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11252-018-0799-x). The link is to a paper by a PHD student, now lecturer, at NTU. I've seen peregrines in natural areas more than I have in urban areas. And that's not to say I'm not looking in the urban areas (because I am). I have only seen evidence of peregrine feeding once in Nottingham. They're not feeding primarily on racing pigeons, they're feeding on urban and feral pigeons. I agree with the building of artificial nest boxes. Why don't you?

Yes, there is an artificial nest site at NTU. I don't have the ring numbers; I'm not carrying out research into specific birds, I'm collecting public perceptions on birds of prey. How do you know that racers have been fed to the young? They could be surviving and living in Nottingham. Birds going missing in an area where birds of prey are present doesn't necessarily mean raptors have predated on them.

Amy if you watch the cams at these nests you will see racing pigeon rings amongst the debris, these seem to be removed regularly. I have asked what happens to the rings and was told they are returned to the relevent union but I don't know of anyone that has received a ring back from a union.

Yes, there is an artificial nest site at NTU. I don't have the ring numbers; I'm not carrying out research into specific birds, I'm collecting public perceptions on birds of prey. How do you know that racers have been fed to the young? They could be surviving and living in Nottingham. Birds going missing in an area where birds of prey are present doesn't necessarily mean raptors have predated on them.

Have seen many a time with ringed racing pigeons being fed to the young birds, many a time. And am sure that many people have also seen this, at not one time i have seen a feral pigeon being delivered to the young peregrines in the nest.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I've been inundated with work and have only been getting emails for private messages.

I'm not entirely sure my opinion here is relevant or necessary, but I'll share it so long as the replies are non-aggressive. I agree with the building of artificial nest boxes for BOP, namely the peregrine. There have been studies that show the success of peregrines in urban areas, where they actually do better (survive longer, produce more surviving young, etc.) than in natural areas (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11252-018-0799-x). The link is to a paper by a PHD student, now lecturer, at NTU. I've seen peregrines in natural areas more than I have in urban areas. And that's not to say I'm not looking in the urban areas (because I am). I have only seen evidence of peregrine feeding once in Nottingham. They're not feeding primarily on racing pigeons, they're feeding on urban and feral pigeons. I agree with the building of artificial nest boxes. Why don't you?

The answer to your question "Why don't you"

I do agree with nest boxes being erected for some BOP ie. Owls which there is now a distinct decline in thier population.I DO NOT agree with nesting sites for Peregrines and such like,they are not an endangered species and are adding to the demise of other wild birds.You say you've only seen peregrines at the NTU feeding once,so I'll be able to enlighten you a little,I watch them on a regular basis during breeding time and I can assure you they feed mainly on racing pigeons and don't let anyone advise you otherwise,ferral pigeons are what's known as street wise and very rarely hunt for food above house top level and do not exerciese like racing pigeons thus evading BOP.

Amy if you watch the cams at these nests you will see racing pigeon rings amongst the debris, these seem to be removed regularly. I have asked what happens to the rings and was told they are returned to the relevent union but I don't know of anyone that has received a ring back from a union.

It must be that they never catch any Scottish pigeons because the SHU never receive any rings from any of these nest sites. :)

I'm sorry that I can't offer any more insight into this. As I said, I'm in my third year of my BSc and my dissertation topic is on public perceptions of birds of prey and nothing more.

I'm sorry that I can't offer any more insight into this. As I said, I'm in my third year of my BSc and my dissertation topic is on public perceptions of birds of prey and nothing more.

Why not try the RSPB and see what input they have for you.

To come onto an open forum and ask questions about this in my eyes isn't the correct place, especially when the Peregrine is destroying the sport, JMO.