Next Season.

alex young

With the season over what plans/ideas do you all have for next year? Due to family commitments I've not bred any y/birds for racing over the past 3 seasons so my team of 12 pairs have aged and although they have flown consistently I need a bit of youth in the team. It did cross my mind to call it a day but have had a rethink and hope to have a team of youngsters for next year. We had a great weeks weather here last week and I got all the jobs on the loft done so I'm now back into a good routine and looking forward to it.atb for next season.

If you still have birds from 3yr ago and you raced with just 12 pair and have not replaced any i take my hat off to you well done .

I did put some late breds in to make up the numbers but without much success, a couple took minor cards 4th,5th etc and one had a 4th fed. They are still here and I'll see how they go next season.atb.

If the birds have done well for you Alex I would breed a team out of them next February as in another year they may not perform to the same level

I only fly to 300 miles in the main just 1 race past that and I find my best birds are getting beat by yearlings once there 4 , up to 3 it's no problem they flynat speed

It may be just the way I race and keep them but they don't get any quicker for me aftern 3 years old or that I have no interest in the real long races where experience may count more

My plan is I will fly 20 cocks next year but pair them a couple of weeks early as they hit super form a couple of weeks later than I wanted , I will pick 6 hens to race and bring them out around may once the cocks are in a routine

Youngsters I will breed just from stock as normal so they hatch in the spring I can't be bothered getting youngsters out to April to much hassle and to many hawks here

• 4 months later...

Glad you are still in the game, even I thought about packing in last year, to the point I sold my whole team of youngsters. I came back from a fortnight abroad to find a round of latebreds, I put rings on them and I ended up winning my first race in 40 yrs... These latebreds are looking a picture and I will give them a fair chance this year without risking them.

They have not been bred from, and if all goes to plan, be raced celibate and see how they go.

My problem is knowing what is best to feed....