Racing This Weekend

Delboy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racing at this time of year is sheer madness.

Nature dictates that there should be plenty of food for the young of any species, so they breed to ensure their young will be around t this time. Peregrines and other BOP are part of nature and they have adapted to fledge their young when food is bountiful. Racing young pigeons to give them an education of what? That they are top of the menu.

Mick Currie stated that there were peregrine nests every 10 miles in his area. Bad enough when the old birds are being attacked every 10 miles, but our young birds are being attacked every 10 miles by at least 3 times the amount of peregrines and often more.

If we keep doing the same thing, we will keep getting the same results. Breed later and race young birds over shorter distances during October and November and educate them without the volume of peril that there is during late July and August. These months are usually quite fair given the current climate and climate change. :)

Your ryt andy common sense ther well said

Nature dictates that there should be plenty of food for the young of any species, so they breed to ensure their young will be around t this time. Peregrines and other BOP are part of nature and they have adapted to fledge their young when food is bountiful. Racing young pigeons to give them an education of what? That they are top of the menu.

Mick Currie stated that there were peregrine nests every 10 miles in his area. Bad enough when the old birds are being attacked every 10 miles, but our young birds are being attacked every 10 miles by at least 3 times the amount of peregrines and often more.

If we keep doing the same thing, we will keep getting the same results. Breed later and race young birds over shorter distances during October and November and educate them without the volume of peril that there is during late July and August. These months are usually quite fair given the current climate and climate change. :)

very interesting and correct, well said,

still think no youngbird racing for one year and race them the following year with the old birds is got to be an option everyone would have plenty youngbirds and more birds in the sky during old bird racing but to many desperate to win a youngbird ticket instead of having a team for next year and planning how to deal with the problem is all talk and no action as long as we sit on our backsides and take it we reap what we sow

still think no youngbird racing for one year and race them the following year with the old birds is got to be an option everyone would have plenty youngbirds and more birds in the sky during old bird racing but to many desperate to win a youngbird ticket instead of having a team for next year and planning how to deal with the problem is all talk and no action as long as we sit on our backsides and take it we reap what we sow

I've thought about breeding October November and race them first 3 or 4 races in the old birds then put away....no young bird racing to worry about

I've thought about breeding October November and race them first 3 or 4 races in the old birds then put away....no young bird racing to worry about

anything is worth a try george to keep sending them and getting hammered is just stupid im going to train half and race half this year but think ill just not race yb in future or send what i can afford to lose or just trying out

All I’m saying is this, every pigeon raced in the uk should be given a deworming / delousing drop on the back of their neck prior to going into the first race basket. Keeping them healthy and clean should be very helpful for returns in future races😉

This should be written into all clubs constitutions and adhered to😉

All I’m saying is this, every pigeon raced in the uk should be given a deworming / delousing drop on the back of their neck prior to going into the first race basket. Keeping them healthy and clean should be very helpful for returns in future races😉

what would you recomend Derek

Derek if you notice the drops that you are speaking about are actually for the Raptors aswell as the pigeons so icant see what good it would do not unless there is another kind of drops.

Very good post Andy

From my loft south to gretna I get approx 27 miles overfly

These are distances from my loft on a line of flight south of nest sights that I know off

A Friend who helps ring the Falcons says even they have lost count and nest sights exist that they do not even get time to cover

All on line of flight from loft

2 miles x 3 nests

7 miles x 1 nest

9 miles x 1 nest

15 miles x 2 nests

18 miles x 1 nest

24 miles x 1 nest

27 miles x 1 nest

Now if each nest has 2 young that's with parents included my birds have the possibility of encountering 40 in 30 miles

Yes I have success but at a cost

Each time they go they run the gauntlet

As for addressing the problem the SAS would struggle , those who say they can are in dreamland

Atb mick

Edited by yeboah

Derek if you notice the drops that you are speaking about are actually for the Raptors aswell as the pigeons so icant see what good it would do not unless there is another kind of drops.

Like the B.O.P. brigade said salt won't work as they do drink water … Only those held in captive. They don't in the wild. They certainly didn't prior and during the last ww2 war. Indeed the RSPB etc. actually brought salt out as a deterrent!

Like a few other goodies that they spout they use... But not A. The same strength given or same name.

Be interesting to hear their' spouting on pain killers, Goldarn sheep dip, let alone the juice of the Rhubarb leaves lol :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Strangest thing is the fancier would, and will much rather believe them than the truth eh!

Know a few fanciers that don't like necking etc. So give them a aspo or such last thing at night. Remove the carcase in morning.

3 pair of eagle owls in theyre would sort that out

Eagle owls are classed a native birds … but don't know for sure that they fall under the Protected birds. the RSPB certainly spout scare mongering in the media saying taking babies from prams - in day light and dogs on the leash etc. They cull. The twitter brigade seem to miss that!

But the the pigeon fancier spurn and fight against any help! Yes they do... you couldn't make it up!

Parasite control is all about delivering a lethal dose of an appropriate anti parasitic chemical. I feel, Derek, that your pigeons will still be worm infested even after your diligent treatment. I would personally favour an alternative treatment to a smaller cross section which would be given a head start at liberation to see if the others could beat them home.

If this rule was adhered to. The pigeons would be disease free within one season.

Said this for year's Walter

Guest mambo

At present the peregrine has it in his head, that these young birds, must be coming from Africa, and they come at the same time each year.best time must be April for training for every one using the system for training one for me one for you ,but to use this system you have to ask other fancers on the right use