Long Distance Racing Into Scotland

Delboy

I do believe that in the present climate with all the hazards our pigeons face, its time to make sure we get convoyed or liberated with another convoy of pigeons from the longest races. This applies to both SNFC and SNRPC, both races have been disasters this year. After the SNFC liberating with the UNC last year and having a brilliant race, we decide to go alone??? Crazy decisions by the Scottish fancy in my opinion.

Ian Stafford is trying to get a race sorted out for next year, for the longest race, including North Yorkshire,/ u n c / s n f c / and more , hoping to be at the beginning of July, ,

Being about 640 miles into Central Scotland

Keeping the costs down low

Let’s hope it takes off,

There are several reasons for this years problems and most Scottish orgs seem to have suffered over the longer races for the last few weeks, and we are not alone in this.

I think the biggest factor has been the weather which has seen unpredictable bands of heavy slow moving rain this summer.

Making comparisons with last year is difficult as during that period we had a fantastic spell of weather which obviously suited the pigeons, giving good racing and returns.

The fashion for shorter, faster racing has also seen the decline of the once more dependable Scottish long distance stock and led to smaller numbers being liberated which in itself leads to longer gaps between returns, however even club racing has seen some poor returns in certain areas this year.

The more difficult long distance racing becomes the more reluctant people are to compete.

Whilst going with other orgs makes financial sense I don’t think it gives a true race as birds can be pulled about the country.

There is no easy answer and we will never please everyone but perhaps a review of current racing,by some serious minded long distance enthusiasts, may be able to give more insight into the problems we are facing although I think that long distance racing will continue to decline due to demographic reasons.

Keep your chins up guys it’s not easy.

I do believe that in the present climate with all the hazards our pigeons face, its time to make sure we get convoyed or liberated with another convoy of pigeons from the longest races. This applies to both SNFC and SNRPC, both races have been disasters this year. After the SNFC liberating with the UNC last year and having a brilliant race, we decide to go alone??? Crazy decisions by the Scottish fancy in my opinion.

Can i ask what type of transporters / crates or baskets the feds in scotland are using for the inland and channel long distance races.What views have fanciers have on the new transporters metal crates.

Don't know what went wrong this weekend with the 2 Scottish nationals?

But the CSCFC didn't have a great race from Bergerac either. My club went with them in the WOESRC and only 1 man timed in. I actually called the sec on Sat aft to see if they had any away.They were also racing from Messac on Sat with another Fed, which had been held over from Fri due to rain in the Cherbourg peninsula. Who knows maybe the rain was more widespread than anticipated?

Tried to look online for historical weather for this date but unable to get any.

Can i ask what type of transporters / crates or baskets the feds in scotland are using for the inland and channel long distance races.What views have fanciers have on the new transporters metal crates.

Ive flown in both wicker baskets and aluminium crates and both have been equally successful. Its not the basket/crate, its how many that goes in them that matters. The SNFC don't put any more than 15-18 in a basket going to the long races.

Edited by Delboy

distance racing is not ment tae be easy del if your birds need a tow up the road you know the answer the longest race was won on the day so one can make it so can the rest tae me thats would be the buzz only bird on the day :drinking-coffee-200:

distance racing is not ment tae be easy del if your birds need a tow up the road you know the answer the longest race was won on the day so one can make it so can the rest tae me thats would be the buzz only bird on the day :drinking-coffee-200:

Can I ask how u get that if one can make it so can the rest it was home at 22.30 but flying 502 miles every bird in that race don’t fly 500 miles what about birds that have no chance on the same day if the birds was liberated at a later time then I would have been a different story in my opinion

Ian Stafford is trying to get a race sorted out for next year, for the longest race, including North Yorkshire,/ u n c / s n f c / and more , hoping to be at the beginning of July, ,

Being about 640 miles into Central Scotland

Keeping the costs down low

Let’s hope it takes off,

Davy the longest race now can hardly muster 300 birds. How many will you get at auxere. 30? The desire for that type of distance racing isn't there now and very few actually capable of competing at that distance or keep birds to do it nowadays

Can I ask how u get that if one can make it so can the rest it was home at 22.30 but flying 502 miles every bird in that race don’t fly 500 miles what about birds that have no chance on the same day if the birds was liberated at a later time then I would have been a different story in my opinion

was that the only pigeon sent from that area. If as you say it only 505 miles surely it should be attainable for the rest sent from there? It's still a long 505 miles at that time on the wing

There are several reasons for this years problems and most Scottish orgs seem to have suffered over the longer races for the last few weeks, and we are not alone in this.

I think the biggest factor has been the weather which has seen unpredictable bands of heavy slow moving rain this summer.

Making comparisons with last year is difficult as during that period we had a fantastic spell of weather which obviously suited the pigeons, giving good racing and returns.

The fashion for shorter, faster racing has also seen the decline of the once more dependable Scottish long distance stock and led to smaller numbers being liberated which in itself leads to longer gaps between returns, however even club racing has seen some poor returns in certain areas this year.

The more difficult long distance racing becomes the more reluctant people are to compete.

Whilst going with other orgs makes financial sense I don’t think it gives a true race as birds can be pulled about the country.

There is no easy answer and we will never please everyone but perhaps a review of current racing,by some serious minded long distance enthusiasts, may be able to give more insight into the problems we are facing although I think that long distance racing will continue to decline due to demographic reasons.

Keep your chins up guys it’s not easy.

100% spot on.

was that the only pigeon sent from that area. If as you say it only 505 miles surely it should be attainable for the rest sent from there? It's still a long 505 miles at that time on the wing

It’s not only 502 miles I no it’s a good pigeon what I said is the rest of the pigeons don’t just fly that distance most fly a lot further and there no chance of making it home on the night so the pigeons that have no choice to sit out in rain and all the the other things that can stop pigeons from getting back home then they will be wet have to sit atleast get a little dry then pick them self’s up to try and get home but u have to mind it wasn’t a nice hot sunny morning was it so with u saying if one make the rest should mind it’s not a fed race it’s a long hard slog that there was only 334 birds away no help and hand there

Davy the longest race now can hardly muster 300 birds. How many will you get at auxere. 30? The desire for that type of distance racing isn't there now and very few actually capable of competing at that distance or keep birds to do it nowadays

Rab the Snfc was started for long distance racing into Scotland, Rennes/ Nantes, 550/600 miles into Central Scotland and should be kept for this,

Going with some other organisations gives the men a chance to fly 600 miles that want to fly distance racing,

4x channel races , not enough pigeons in Scotland for them now, so if we go with someone else’s should help keep costs down and still have channel racing

With cover from hawks into Britain,

If it kicks off going with auxerre, will be good for the Snfc, help keeping costs down, and hope we can get about 300+ pigeons, last year we went with the unc and had 382 birds,

The times we went with the mnfc we had good racing with good returns,

Can't for the love of me understand why it hasn't happened years ago . .. Oh sorry self interests and defending a corner prevailed.

Beside the costs that could be saved and … But I guess Del it is far from happening. Well not till there are so few numbers demand such a stance.

Unpopular opinion alert

If an SNFC cannot support itself it cannot continue

Yes I understand what the snfc was formed for, but the snfc is made up of members and the members are voting with their feet inlands and short channel races are most popular

I personally enjoy all races but I don't think a 640 mile race is for the members its only for the few

Rab the Snfc was started for long distance racing into Scotland, Rennes/ Nantes, 550/600 miles into Central Scotland and should be kept for this,

Going with some other organisations gives the men a chance to fly 600 miles that want to fly distance racing,

4x channel races , not enough pigeons in Scotland for them now, so if we go with someone else’s should help keep costs down and still have channel racing

With cover from hawks into Britain,

If it kicks off going with auxerre, will be good for the Snfc, help keeping costs down, and hope we can get about 300+ pigeons, last year we went with the unc and had 382 birds,

The times we went with the mnfc we had good racing with good returns,

Davy the inland nats can muster 3 4 5 thousand birds. The real events that the SNFC as you say was started for struggle to get over 3 figures most times. Does that not say something. The popular trend is racing 8hours into central Scotland. I'd ditch the inlands and stick to the channel races.

Davy the inland nats can muster 3 4 5 thousand birds. The real events that the SNFC as you say was started for struggle to get over 3 figures most times. Does that not say something. The popular trend is racing 8hours into central Scotland. I'd ditch the inlands and stick to the channel races.

I agree with you, long distance racing is struggling into Scotland, and middle distance racing has took over, the easy options to national racing

In my opinion,

fanciers now don’t want 500/ 550/600 mile to hard for most, but all the greatest names of the past would be turning in there graves seeing what the national has become,

Too many races not enough Doo.s

I like to win at all national races, but 500 mile + racing is different class, for me, the knocks are harder when you don’t get one, but when you get one at the distance nothing compares to that feeling,

For me it would be sartilly ,Rennes, Nantes, and one coast race for yearlings only,

Unpopular opinion alert

If an SNFC cannot support itself it cannot continue

Yes I understand what the snfc was formed for, but the snfc is made up of members and the members are voting with their feet inlands and short channel races are most popular

I personally enjoy all races but I don't think a 640 mile race is for the members its only for the few

George when you start winning at 500 mile plus racing you will understand,

Davy is correct timing a good pigeon on the night from 500+mls will over take anything else you have done in federation racing and live with you forever .

Times have changed and people have changed and pigeon racing will never be what it was so just enjoy it no matter what distance you choose to race but don't knock each other just because one or other is not for you .

I only race a max of 4 races a year and the gold cup is my only goal and it's very hard to get pigeons that shine at the gold cup ,at start of season I thought I had a few real champions but most went down at their prep races and the others were not good enough.

Percy has almost beaten me ,my ybs are getting hammered during exercise and scared to come out loft so that is the reason pigeons will never be the same sport it used to be .

There is no other fee!ing like it timing in from across the water being Belgium or France ,different completely I've spoke to fancied that have said they get as big a buzz from winning at 100 miles ,absolute nonsense .they haven't had the buzz of timing in when there's hardly a pigeon timed in and you get one WOW .I've not had it for a few years due to a lot of factors ,next to watching your kids being born .it's way up there .for you guys that haven't experienced it give it a real go you won't be disapointed trust me .