Breeding

REDCHEQHEN

Just a curiosity question really. You have a good cock and hen but neither has ever bred anything, would you pair a son of a hen, and a hen offspring from the cock (son & daughter) not related, and do you think they would have a better chance of producing the goods, where the parents did not - or is it just pot luck?

If they have never bred anything tbh I remove the whole line from the loft, nothing gets bred from unless it's done the job required, if it's a stock bird it's got to breed winners or birds to score, if it hasn't I wouldn't try anything from its children but that's just me.

Maybe. But think I would mate to completely unrelated birds that have 'Homed' or flew well.

Had a cracking cock bird. won as a y/b then twice to two different lofts. Won Thurso and Bergerac about 2- 3 weeks apart.

Never ever bred piperly dip. Mated to the best and worst for several years... never anything. Others thought a waste of time trying. Yet they bred good birds and often- over the years I, like many others can trace their good birds down to a line or two of a couple of pairs.

Edited by Roland

Had the same problem a few years ago with a really good bird I was gifted.

Never bred any to race at all, infact they seemed a bit soft & dopey, didn't even want to fly.

One of his daughters paired to a cock I liked during the season, took a pair off them, and the birds they bred were great.

If I knew then what I know now I would have kept all his daughters for breeding from.

Jack Curtiss who wrote a book on George Busschaert, looked at the way he bred his birds, and I think explains why his birds were so successful.

Basically.

If he had a good racing cock for example he would put it to as many hens as possible, then pair the young from them, half brother x half sister, to increase & retain the winning line from the cock.

Jack Curtiss who wrote a book on George Busschaert, looked at the way he bred his birds, and I think explains why his birds were so successful.

Basically.

If he had a good racing cock for example he would put it to as many hens as possible, then pair the young from them, half brother x half sister, to increase & retain the winning line from the cock.

Line breeding to the cock,good as anything

If they have never bred anything tbh I remove the whole line from the loft, nothing gets bred from unless it's done the job required, if it's a stock bird it's got to breed winners or birds to score, if it hasn't I wouldn't try anything from its children but that's just me.

me to Wiley