Training Pigeons

Walter swanston

A friend and experienced fancier sent nine Pigeons to Shap with the Solway at the weekend.He got eight of them home..Nothing remarkable in that you might think except that those nine birds had nverbefore been in a basket never trained and never raced, so how essential is Training?

I have heard many say it is not necessary. Apparently, there was no money about and they were just sent to the races.

Conversely, I have heard it is good to sharpen their minds.

I think it is one of those questions to which there is no definitive answer. Just the same as, "How do they home". :)

I believe Young birds need some form of training/schooling to instil in them what the game is about, older birds exercising well around the loft don't need as much before racing begins. A member of our club done the same at the weekend, sending 5 birds (2 yearlings and 3 2yr olds) to the first race 100mls with forecast being strong S/easterly winds 25-30mls mph. Both the yearlings have been trained to 35-40mls and the older 3 were just lifted from the loft. A lot of birds have failed to return possibly due to the S/easterly winds which were in their favour flying into the N/west, the Open winner was won into Derry. The club mate in question got the 3 older untrained birds and never seen the yearlings that had been trained.

A friend and experienced fancier sent nine Pigeons to Shap with the Solway at the weekend.He got eight of them home..Nothing remarkable in that you might think except that those nine birds had nverbefore been in a basket never trained and never raced, so how essential is Training?

not necessary in my opinion . i tried the same with 4 cocks around 2 years ago . didnt produce any winners , but they homed reasonably well . only downfall was a one mans opinion i should have been "hung" for doing so :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Often spout as such. First time in basket for me was race. (150 - 200 mile)

Depends if they have freedom and rest I guess.

Agree with Dal that the only reason for training is fitness … if needed.

Was a case when a school boy held some pigeons in a collection of rabbit cages. Was a stray pigeon that started it off. Then a couple or so fanciers bred his some 6 in all. After the parents began to see it the phase wouldn't lass over they ordered that they went!

Never trained of course.

Rather than cull he gave all away bar one. He entered it in a NATIONAL, first time in basket and IT won the national. I believe a scribe called Titmuss wrote the article in the B.H.W Black country way.

Edited by Roland

Fact is, very few - very few indeed, trained their pigeons.

Young birds split into two parts. Half went first two races - about 70 miles then 100 odd second race. The rest the same in the two come back races and all went every race too 250 miles or more. Elgin - Perth and even further.

Yearlings usually stopped at Thurso just under 500 miles. Two year old and onwards Lerwick etc. Admitted races were chosen for future races. I.e. Berwicke for Lerwick etc. Morpeth for Thurso. Yes after two Northallerton in same week. A open Race on the Tuesday and Club/ Fed race week -end. Didn't need training. Few tried to still a march true... if able. But most lofts had a problem regards too many for the allocated Nest Boxes. What went etc.

Just a wee add on to this thread we had our yearling cocks and a couple of older doos at Carnwath yesterday evening less than 20 miles

11/20 at close of play last night

5 this morning and 2 this afternoon needless to say we won't be training them again for a while

The climate of the times... The ways and means of today's racing don't live up to yesteryears pigeons. Nor can anyone offer a shred of proof on that score. Well certainly with any consistency. One swallow doesn't make a summer so to speak.

Likewise, the convenient myth of saying the pigeons are a lot faster today.

I sometimes hear the talk about how they get birds doing 1500 pm etc. Yes, we do ... as we did years ago.

Fraserburgh I timed in doing 1900 odd. Thought that was good and great. Fed birds were doing over 2000 ypm.

On the coast, they did 2300 ypm.

Lerwick up at six home at one. Admitted it was in July and better than the heat stupidity of June 22nd rubbish of hotter days … however, 20 minutes more light! You couldn't make it up!

I've said many times outcrosses. Indeed no incest... Fanciers point regards performances where they have done well, that's true. However, put the numbers in any column and compare to today's birds and their losses etc. and the talk just doesn't add up!

First thing hampered in incest breeding is - and seems to be the 'Homing instinct.

Agreed of course the B.O.P. has some answering to do. However, realistically - though they have an effect, they are blamed for a lot that they aren't responsible for.

Lib sites get a crowd of B.O.P.. looking on and waiting for the Libs. But then we use them libs! Time to alter regularly the Lib points eh!

Edited by Roland

Tell me please, someone, anyone! If a conveyor was at the liberation site and saw, per usual and often, and in very many sites decides to move to liberate 30 miles away, in an excellent car park - forget the legalities here … alternatively, a nice common waste ground, WHAT would the members of the clubs and fed members be?

Alternatively, just flatly refused to liberate and bought the birds home. Just what would be the outcry?

We see and read the conveyers reports in the mags how at certain point Percy sits patiently waiting for his families breakfast teaches the youngster to kill!

Indeed our club once tried to get a couple of these liberations points changed!

We were outvoted! Why?... First off to protect the advantage of their' location! then the ruse of saying 'They are everywhere so it would be such a waste of time'!

We tried ... others didn't! Can one blame Percy who sits and chuckles? Of course not!

There are 100'. If not 1000's of alternative sites away from the B.O.P. who KNOW where most weeks breakfast will be served there!

By the way, I was the only member who refused to send to that site.

Edited by Roland

Had about 10 training tosses

1/10 have resulted in all the birds coming together

They’ve basically been broken up each time

My dad took them the other day, cocks were just out basket and Percy came from the side and chased them to ground

Got them all home but took all day!!

Had about 10 training tosses

1/10 have resulted in all the birds coming together

They’ve basically been broken up each time

My dad took them the other day, cocks were just out basket and Percy came from the side and chased them to ground

Got them all home but took all day!!

Where did you lib the birds from Brian