The Joe Murphy Column 4/4/19

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

I’m sorry it is a short article this week but I have had so much to do: today I attended the nurse for my Heart Monitoring test and everything went well including the good news that I have lost over 16 lbs, in weight which is excellent and long may it continue. I also attended the physio who has given me more stretch exercises for my right let as it has been giving me some problems of late. Then on Friday I have an appointment with the Stroke Doctor whom I see every couple of weeks. He is impressed that I’ve regained full movement in all my fingers and that I’m back ‘touch typing’ like I was before I took my stoke.It has been a struggle but he is more than happy with my improvement. I explained that I did a column for the pigeon press and I had a copy with me as I had been sitting reading it while waiting for him to call on me. He had a look at it and thought when I said I did a column, he thought it was a square inch column and we had a good laugh, he was very impressed. More so when I told him that a pigeon had been sold for 1.250.000 Euro, he could not believe it.

Family Affair

I have had quite a good feedback on my Family Affair which was in last week’s BHW a lot of people remarked about how much they enjoyed it. One or two people were surprised that I had sent a pigeon to Palamos away back in 1976, while others remarked about our national winner Mystical Rose. One thing that did come across while speaking to fanciers was your birds must be bred from a line or lines of proven pigeons in their pedigree (in my case) good long distance pigeons.

Medical Research sale

I received a phone call from Robert Cormack of Winchburgh asking after me and how my health is progressing. Robert also informed me that he has donated 20 young birds from his distance bloodlines to the Medical Research sale at Newmains on Sunday 13th April. George Pollock has been assisting Robert revenue, pens etc. The SHU are going to transfer ALL the pigeons free of charge purchased at this sale which will be held at 2pm with the babies on show from 1pm. I reported in last week’s column about the drop in numbers of fanciers keeping racing pigeons on the Isle of Wight. Robert informed me that away back in 1988 the Winchburgh club had 32 lofts with a membership of 45 whereas at the present time there are 8 lofts with 10 members. Showing you that it is happening throughout the whole of the UK; we must thank Robert for his generosity in supporting the Medial Research team.

Best Wishes

While talking to Tom McQuire he informed me that one of his club mates James Newbigging has taken a heart attack and had 2 stents inserted. I noticed James had 2 good pigeons in the 2 longest national’s last year winning 37th open from Reims flying 563 miles and 82nd open from Liege flying 528 miles. James was at the hospital with his wife who was in for a check-up and he took ill and was rushed into the theatre. We send our best wishes to James and his wife andwish them all the best for the future.

Good SNFC Birds

While going through the national results I noticed 3 birds that have won 3 times in their section and thought I would give them a mention. The first 2 are to the husband and wife partnership of Jim and Ann Donaldson of Peterhead, whose chequer cock SU15NE4059 won 11th section G from Ypres in 2016 flying 498 miles against 2323 birds entered by 440 members. The following year he was sent to the inland national from Buckingham were 495 members sent 4179 birds and he won 10th section G flying 382 miles. Last year he was sent to Maidstone a distance of 446 miles and won 10th section G 294thopen from an entry of 3001 birds sent by 444 members. The partnership’s secondbird is a chequer hen SU17NE3009 as a young bird she won 7th section G in the young bird national from Buckingham with an entry of 1833 birds sent by 221 members. As a yearling she was again sent to Buckingham flying 381 miles and won 7th section G from an entry of 2941 birds sent by 441 members. She was then sent to Ypres a distance of 498 miles and she was 3rd section G 22nd open from an entry of 2541 birds entered by 433 members. So 2 pigeons to look out for when the national races start: we wish Jim & Ann all the best with their team of pigeons. We now come to one of the top lofts in the west of Scotland none other than my ex SNFC management committee member Derek Hay of Kirkintilloch who’s chequer hen SU17AV3774 has been 3 times in the top 6 in her section in 3 national races. As a youngster she competed in the young bird national from Buckingham with an entry of 1833 birds sent by 221 members and she won 6th section F flying 300 miles. Last year as a yearling she was again sent to Buckingham and won 3rd section F from an entry of 2941 birds entered by 441 members. She was then sent to the last old bird national from Roye a distance of 518 miles and she won 1st section F 16th open from an entry of 747 birds sent by 186 members.She is another bird to keep an eye on during the new season ahead and we wish big Derek all the best with his hen.

This week’s Photo’s

This week I highlight the late great fancier Jock Traill of Thornton and his 2 wonderful Scottish National Flying Club winners ‘Nancy’ winner of 1st open Niort flying 690 miles in 1996 she was named after Jock’s wife. We then have ‘Traill’s Spark’ winner of 27th and 1st open SNFC Niort in 1996 & 1997. He was named after his daughter Senga; Paul & Andrew his grandson’s; Rona his daughter in law and Keith his son; so a wonderful family affair and a great part of long distance racing into Scotland.

The late Jock Traill

The late Jock Traill (2).jpg

TraillsSpark

TraillsSpark.JPG

Joe’s Joke

Wife; ‘There’ strouble with the car. It has water in the carburettor’.

Husband; ‘Water in the carburettor.? That’s ridiculous’.

Wife; ‘I tell you the car has water in the carburettor’.

Husband; ‘You don’t even know what a carburettor is. I’ll check it out. Where’s the car?

Wife; ‘In the pool’.

Pleasecontinue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email tojoejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or you can also view onlineeditions on: www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.ukwww.pigeon-chat.co.uk - www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing theBasics! - thecanadianpigeoninternational.comwww.internationalracingpigeon.com or

https://sites.google...alracingpigeon/

Who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeontopics from Scotland

©Compiled by Joe Murphy