Moving

Mattydoos79

Hi guys just need advice we are thinking of moving closer to Aberdeen to be closer to family, but I don’t want to give up my pigeon hobby so what’s the best way. Do I have to move the pigeon loft and my existing pigeons have to be rid of? To start again? Any help is appreciated.

First off, how far will the new home be from the old one? Can you put up loft in new abode before leaving old home? Rgards new or old loft! No you don't need to take old loft. You could take old loft etc. of course. But more hassle than worth.

Now is the time to be deciding system and distances you want to excel in. Will it be a new start with old pigeons?

Easy to break if they like the new loft. Not so clever pigeons may be lost. Do you intend to race the same birds then as now?

Best way of breaking if possible is to Stop feeding and watering them in old lofty. Then take then to new loft. to feed and water. Leave door open! Soon they will fly to new loft to feed and as no concern or frightened regards locking in the will settle. b Some put a mate locked in new loft after a time. But I wouldn't.

If not able to, arrange for old loft to be left up. It may be an understanding involved. Maybe even new tenants would use the loft as a shed / storage etc. or become pigeon fancier ^_^ In new loft feed same time each night and LET out every three days. they will never ever forget the old loft, so keeping them if for yonks somes may work ... but mostly that would be the not so clever ones...

I have built many lofts. Best place - if wood etc. is go to a Demolition site. Get good seasoned pillars etc. etc.

Or bricks even. I found first talking regards pigeons and their merits set a good seed. You will / would be surprised how helpful the boss or workers become!

Well I intend to take my old loft just my young bird one but the other one is old so that’s getting scrapped for firewood or whatever. Regarding the birds well I’m keeping just a few of my old birds for breeding so clip their wings is one way to keep them in and once I have youngsters they will learn the new home area.

Let's for fun, but more so let us put thoughts and beliefs in help A. US and B. just as importantly any newcomer or a person that may have an interest. Not for a moment forgetting everyone on the site that may garner a little understanding of a help.

Obviously, a Chicken or egg starter … However, then that is in itself a no goer. Would have to be Two! A cock bird or two eggs. However, then again to eliminate the chances of having at least one pair it would take ten eggs mathematically.

Likewise to an extent is our pigeon game.

Loft first? Alternatively, reading up? Visiting a fancier to learn. Even when and where to get the pigeons/ Joining a club first... having youngsters promised, or stock birds for y/b racing?

Then after much and many, the thoughts carry on.

However at some time, one will have to have a place for them to live. Yes, rabbit hutches upon rabbit hutches with excellent ventilation. A shielded nest box!

Now You have time for a little thought I'd guess. Me! Well, if old birds might take the Y/b loft and turn it into a section for old birds you are starting with, I wouldn't clip any wings personally. Would be an added cause of stress! They will be stressed out a bit any road — no wanting that for their breeding. Aviary will calm them and help them to settle.

However, I would build an aviary for them to sit out all weathers if they want.

Then between now and then, and them breeding youngsters, you can design and build a loft to suit your self! Remember all them 'I'd wish I'd done this ...'.

I would have an aviary for every section. I prefer one where the birds trap into the loft. I used a drop door, and then they had to go through Bob Wires to trap in. Great for settling the youngster too before letting out. IN and OUT of the avairy door. I make mine entirely in a wire mesh. Not the chicken stuff, but firm and robust. Yes, on support legs and trays underneath for cleaning out. Just pushed wood through the wires for perching.

The loft itself Had just two air bricks for ventilation. Moreover, some times I left the trap doors open at night. More than enough air circulation.

Was warm in winter, and cool in summer. Best made of Bricks, but the same principle applies with wood. Twin walls with Plasterene between - get it free from shops packaging.

I've seen many traps placed above the aviaries. However, it can slow trappings and may also entice the birds to hunch and not going in. If through the aviary they don't see a bird but hear them and trapping is usually very quick.

I once had an excellent and quick trapping device. The birds could land on the trapping board and drop straight through it. Instead of the wooden holes like many had/have when upright I did the same. Instead of being vertical I had them Horizontal.

I had a glass window in all sections: I and placed Car window tinting. So was always a little dark and comfortable for the birds and their all-important nesting.

I feel this may be the only chance - maybe the last chance- to build a loft that suits you, and is practical for the well being and control of the birds.

Personally, when weaning, I took the youngster and placed and fed and watered them in the basket for a couple of days. Then I moved 'In the Basket' to their new loft. After two days I'd leave the basket open for two days or so. Them remove the basket.

Then open the Bob wires so that they could go in and out of the Aviary. Stress-free when opening the Aviary to let them out! They will go in and out on their' own. Indeed it is the very first Co of 5!

Edited by Roland

• 3 weeks later...