Time Was, And Should Be Eh!

Roland

Well, the past weekend passed would have finalised – hopefully, what birds were going to be paired to what bird. You being happy with— new mates or staying the same. ( Well always that nagging doubt eh!) The close season would have given us ample time to decide what was going to make room in the nest boxes. - lists on what the yearlings and two y/o's had done etc.

Would the y/b's have made a mark themselves? The urge to ad nest boxes meant deciding NO!

Maybe next years yearlings would prove themselves worthy of both racing and nest box.

Now this week or over the next two weeks pairing would be done and birds settled for the first of two rounds.

There would be plenty of time for the youngsters to mature. Certainly enough and race the program. First rounders would go to the first two races in theory, and the second rounders the next two – come back races.

The close season would be soon enough to see if your matings tested by Mr Basket were spot on! Maybe a tweak or two needed...! Or a complete change!

Sat Down during the winter and paired birds on paper regarding breeding and balance in hand

Removed all nest boxes oct/nov time and let birds winter on perches after being split

After moult was completed they went through their always being hungry in winter time routine ensuring wonderful fit healthy pigeons come spring time

Reduced breeding pairs from 24 to 18

Installed new breeding boxes which i made being 22 wide x 24 deep with 6 inch surround on front for privacy

Let cocks settle and pick which box they wanted to perch at for 3/4 weeks

Introduced hens to chosen box for 1 day

Day 2, let cocks to new mates (miracle only 1 pair did not take )

Day 3, let 3 pairs out for half hour each until all had been out

Day 4, All out no fighting all settled correctly (another miracle )

At present all but 2 pair hatched

Bookwork all to date regarding pairings parentage back to grandparents

All documented and colour coded regarding birds that have raced ,been trained or require training

Boxes with youngsters immaculate with droppings like little marbles

This retirement is a wonderful Thing

Have set myself a 2 year target as to where i want to be (time will tell lol )

Was giong to start training late breds today but the bitter wind and 4 degrees has knocked that one in to touch

Sure thats the Kettle Boiling

Adios Amigos

A very good read Yeboah. Most and much done. Indeed a blueprint plan for any body I believe!

I, personally. used to give the Late Bred a toss or two on nice days before Xmas. That of course changed in later years.

They were only given a couple of races up to 150 miles next season ... If at all.

Later, as often posted, due to ill health. I never trained the y/b's. But as yearlings or 2yo's they went first time in basket. Indeed I hardly, if ever trained my birds. Fortunate in that I could have a open loft etc.

I have not raced yb's the last 2 years either Roland ,mostly due to work commitments at the time

Some of my best performance pigeons national wise the last few years never entered a basket to train/race until yearlings then only had 3 short tosses before giong to 140 miles

I intend to train/race youngbirds this season to 70/100 miles

Never train pigeons that have raced previously due to the high density of falcons ,but obviously uneducated birds must run the gauntlet can spend hours single tossing these birds which i think helps regarding my loft location at the north of the federation

Have found that the condition and fitness of the celibate pigeons far exceeds that of the natural its then just up to observation and motivation ,although a good well bred small hen on natural with a 2-5 day chick takes some beating at the distance

I sent 32 yearlings for their first race last year at 140 miles ,the first home was a blue hen it so happened to be bred from my 2 Scottish national section winners (The apple never falls far from the tree )

It has a 10 day old youngster at present and guard's the box as if her life depended on it ,In fact when i'm cleaning the box she refuses to leave and will even run up my arm to fight

If she is still here come the main 2yo event i'll put my house on her

Hope that's not the kiss of Death lol

Golly Yeboah, we are nigh singing from the same hymn book.

As for youngsters and the B.O.P. They will have a built-in instinct regards them. Like so many wonders of nature. Do we teach them to fly? Nor do the parents. B.O.P. the very first time they see an S/H they will climb above it. How do they know? Well, we don't know how, yet they do.

'... Have found that the condition and fitness of the celibate pigeons far exceed that of the natural pigeon. It's then just up to observation and motivation..'!

When the birds become mentally fit, then physically fit. The whole PARTS of their nature becomes one. Contentment of home and the Perch / Nest box is all they need for motivation. their territory! They fly to either as strongly. Yes, 'celibacy' has an excellent edge. Always ready to run so to speak. They home to their territory. As us, fit (FIT) train to get fitter. Till becoming fit, they can't and won't. You can't, nor can any animal/bird unfit train to get fit. One becomes fit/part of Conditioned, then TRAINS to get fitter.

Too many pigeons are - I believe - ruined for the season via not letting a pigeon become naturally mental fit. Then allowing them to become all-around fit before training.