Vaccination

PIGEON_MAN

I will be weaning off about 12 young birds today into their own section thing is I have a pair of old birds in there that have been sitting just over a week I had no where else to put them,they are both Fed.winners that is why I paired them together so I dont want anything going wrong,as I always vaccinate the young birds when I wean them I,m not sure weather or not to do the old pair as well.They had their annual jab back in November,should I vaccinate them again with the young birds or would they be o.k to leave,as I,m thinking I might have problems with the young birds that hopefully will hatch.

Rock and a hard place.

12YB's v 2YB's. Vaccinate now or wait for 4 weeks until the two are ready?

A lot depends on your own management. If you vaccinate now when the two hatch your YB's will only be a week through the process. I wouldn't think that would cause any problems, but I'm not a vet.

If you leave it for 4 weeks, your twelve will be relying on their own immunity. Do you suffer from YBS, etc?

Only you can make the judgement call.

The OB's don't need done, again my opinion. :)

Simple vaccinate the old pair now! All birds are to be vaccinated yearly any way … most 3 times in first 3 months by very many. Many the old warning of them being carriers after vaccinated and can still infect over birds.

I use to say 'Well if you've vaccinated your birds why worry about those who haven't as it won't affect yours's'!

Many argue that it can still knock the vaccinated birds for six so to speak!

Tony I be honest I'd be more worried about the old cock not taking kindly to the young birds in the section then the vaccination side of things! The vaccination can wait but scolded ybs can't!! It be different if he was on similar sized yb and they was placed on floor with them

Some truth in what Wiley and gulkie say. You must really have the nest box twice the size for that pair. With nest bowls so he doesn't - wouldn't need to move on to another. Ideally, both sheltered from the loft and the opening facing each other. So then it would be shielded and the pair can relay another round whilst in the same compartment ( compartment facing each others. No need for the all important 'Pecking and territory' to fight over. Just the one entry between the two. A half house brick or Wooden block aside each of his nest bowls. Just my thoughts of what I would do if I had too.

Your old birds will be fine mate

The eggs under the pair have another couple of weeks before hatching, I wouldn't take a chance with my Ybs just weaned over I would vaccinate the older pair again along with the Ybs it'll do them no harm.

Why does he need to do that he’s already done it in November behave yourself

Tony I be honest I'd be more worried about the old cock not taking kindly to the young birds in the section then the vaccination side of things! The vaccination can wait but scolded ybs can't!! It be different if he was on similar sized yb and they was placed on floor with them

Correct wiley

People vaccinate youngsters and put them back in the nest - we did this year as we had to vaccinate breeder buyer birds, and although 21 days old+ they weren't weaned, but we have done in previous years where there has been a late bred youngster and the others were being vaccinated. It's 'don't mix vaccinated with unvaccinated birds' - so it would be your unvaccinated ones in the egg I would be more concerned about. The old ones are vaccinated

Reminds me REDCHEQHEN as often posted some get three Vacs starting n the nest … But the part bout NOT mixing.

Carriers and none vaccinated. Not to go into too much details of course...

But there was a time, and could well again, when unscrupulous so called fanciers, would treat for Pigeon pox etc. Then send in young birds races... Caused havoc with other birds not vaccinated going down like flies and ruined season.