Building Pigeon Loft, Permissions And Paperwork

Zbyszek58

Welcome everyone,

I am writing in name of my father, he is 60 and living in council flat (actually he has large backgarden 25x10metres, half of which probably belongs to another flat which is located above him, it is also a council but I have spoke with this person and he have not a single issue about pigeon loft as he even not using or ever been in garden, my father always cut the grass and keep whole garden clean and tidy. I have asked in council and they have said that I will require a planning permission and have to pay 202£ fee and we will see. However few days ago I was reading through this forum and there was a topic in which someone has said that if I will build up a shed (which will be probably 2x2metres only as that is the only case when I do not require planning permission) and after that I can apply to council for keeping living animals so obviously pigeons and they will send notification letters to neighbours etc. But in some other website I have found that keeping pigeons in shed is prohibited and planning permission is required. I am non native so it is a bit harder for me to find out informations and go through process, my father is going to stay there just for less than 5 years as he is getting retired and then definitely return to Poland. He have many racing pigeons while living in Poland and he is in love with them since ever, he was starting in competitions every year and has a very good results in context of whole country so he was really on top. He is quite sad of not being allowed to having his own loft now, he wish to build up one by himself. But now I am confused if he need a planning permission to build up or not? He just wondering about quite small loft, even 2x2 would be enough just to make him happy. And once we built it up then he could apply for keeping pigeons by adapting shed. It's west lothian council if matters.

https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/3043/Sheds-garages-greenhouses-and-other-outbuildings Here is stated if it is 4sq metres as this is flat it is not required. But in many others websites even this forum I have found that even a bigger sheds are not required to have a planning permission.

If it is in wrong sub-forum please just move to the right place.

Thank you.

welcome to you , are you based over here like your Father ? if so best thing would be to go into your local council office and ask .some different housing authorities have different rules to others . dont worry about all the information as yet .get the details from them first :smiling-scarecrow-329:

There is bound to be someone from West Lothian area on the forum who will have experience in this matter, but as Andy says, make initial enquiries regarding the size of outbuilding allowed without planning permission, then request a letter authorising you to erect that size of structure. :)