Nest Felts

Colin8

I am thinking about using nest felts this year,I haven't had them before,any advantage/disadvantages.

I once bought some good quality black ones they lasted for years I put them in the washing machine at the end of each season they came out perfect but I’ve not come across them again as I said they were of a very good quality and kept there shape even after a good few washes .

I prefer to use nest felts - we have some old birds that don't make very good nests, and if you have clay nest bowls - the nest felt provides a cushion for the eggs to guard against breakages for the poorer nest builders, it also gives the youngsters something to grip on to and are less likely to have splayed legs if single reared

I just use the coconut nest felts and discard after each round using clean bowls and new nest felts

At 30p a nest felt - They're not worth ruining a washing machine for...!

I always found it safest to pass a bit of tie-wire (very thin galvanised wire used for gardening etc) though the centre and then through the holes in the nest pan and twist the ends tight. This stops the felt from sliding when birds get on/off the nest as I had a few smashed eggs before I started doing this.

I always found it safest to pass a bit of tie-wire (very thin galvanised wire used for gardening etc) though the centre and then through the holes in the nest pan and twist the ends tight. This stops the felt from sliding when birds get on/off the nest as I had a few smashed eggs before I started doing this.

are your nest pans plastic ???

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking about using nest felts this year,I haven't had them before,any advantage/disadvantages.

I use the brown felts from pallets or pj lofts like the other post I don't like the ones with thread in them

I stick a bit of silicone in the bottom or the bowl to stop it moving as they can slide at times not often but it does happen

I like them and use them every year