Early Youngsters

neila

I only pair mid Feb as I like March and April ybs as I only breed from stock

but I am thinking of in time having some earlier ones to try maybe in a year or two

I would be interested if any fanciers could explain how they manage the early babies from a week or two after weaning in January to the first race.

Do they fly well at home all that time , do they roam like later babies , do they get trained in April and if so do you have to keep them going to July

Only I fear my ybs would be a job to keep going for 5 months to the first race and could become bored and lose the love of flying at home

I put both cocks and hens together dec/jan time but I prefer Feb to March babies as that way training in April to June ready for racing to their own loft and they get good at flying. If my old birds lay early I just put fake dummy eggs until I’m ready also same when old bird racing season starts I put some fake eggs too, to get them motavated as I like to race both cock and hens but everyone have their own views and systems.

I breed early mine are just starting to lay now and rings are available from NEHU on 2nd .

Mine are left with old birds till at least 30 days old—then weaned off to young bird loft straight onto darkness system.

They are fed light on a morning and kept tight but as much as they want on a night before putting darkness shutters up.

Mine never range like some say theirs do but I do start early with basket training as I call it —-birds basketted at 12 to 14 weeks old at first toss is other side of my house and half way up field—so young birds see home as soon as they hit the sky and this settles them straight away —after a few of these they seem to be ok in basket.

I also basket young in dark shed so they are not flying from around shed frightening them to death.

Due to work mine are let out around loft at tea time and basketted later for a toss —

Like to have at least 12 hrs of darkness so mrs opens shutters when I am at work —10 am and light feed them, this leaves night free to train when very little pigeons in the sky.

My young are not split cocks and hens but left together and nest bowls are all over floor.

Lights are used later in year to hold the wing moult.

Mine race the whole of the young bird program—if they are ok they go—-and the first eight home on a Saturday go on midweek race from 84 miles—I think young birds love it.

2018 I started first race with 29 young bird and ended season with 24–one culled hit the wires.

Results were good.

I breed early mine are just starting to lay now and rings are available from NEHU on 2nd .

Mine are left with old birds till at least 30 days old—then weaned off to young bird loft straight onto darkness system.

They are fed light on a morning and kept tight but as much as they want on a night before putting darkness shutters up.

Mine never range like some say theirs do but I do start early with basket training as I call it —-birds basketted at 12 to 14 weeks old at first toss is other side of my house and half way up field—so young birds see home as soon as they hit the sky and this settles them straight away —after a few of these they seem to be ok in basket.

I also basket young in dark shed so they are not flying from around shed frightening them to death.

Due to work mine are let out around loft at tea time and basketted later for a toss —

Like to have at least 12 hrs of darkness so mrs opens shutters when I am at work —10 am and light feed them, this leaves night free to train when very little pigeons in the sky.

My young are not split cocks and hens but left together and nest bowls are all over floor.

Lights are used later in year to hold the wing moult.

Mine race the whole of the young bird program—if they are ok they go—-and the first eight home on a Saturday go on midweek race from 84 miles—I think young birds love it.

2018 I started first race with 29 young bird and ended season with 24–one culled hit the wires.

Results were good.

A great read and a insight how a fellow fancier sets out his youngbird team.With some great returns also,when you look around the country a lot of fanciers really struggled with returns.