Dupurative Or Barley

neila

I tend to feed my old birds 30 to 50 per cent barley Monday and Tuesday the remainder a sport mix but was thinking of changing to dupurative instead on a Monday and Tuesday

Just looking for advice on why fanciers feed the dupurative mixture rather than adding barley to the race mix, which in my case is a high carb low protein mix , as I only feed peas or beans on a Sunday

Be interested to read other views on this subject

I used to feed mainly barley as a breakdown early part of the week and I read an article by Len Hopton who said he hated having his pigeons around his feet early in the week when feeding barley.I changed to depurative and made the mix stronger and the birds exercised really well from the Sunday onwards but maybe if I'd have done the same with the barley the outcome would've been the same.

I used to feed mainly barley as a breakdown early part of the week and I read an article by Len Hopton who said he hated having his pigeons around his feet early in the week when feeding barley.I changed to depurative and made the mix stronger and the birds exercised really well from the Sunday onwards but maybe if I'd have done the same with the barley the outcome would've been the same.

Hi Alex

Thank you for the reply

I have been feeding a bag of super widow and Gerry mixed , then some energy mix depending on wind and distance so it only contains 9 per cent peas the rest is high carb to I add the energy (fat)

So when I add barley early in the week it becomes a light high carb mix which I thought was a bit like a dupurative is based on as it looks a high carb low protein mix

But I see so many fanciers use dupurative I guess I am missing the point to it , hence wonder if I should try