Selkirk Week End

George IV

Just back from a weekend in Selkirk.

Noticed lots of pigeons (150+) flying about down by the riverside area of the town.

Is there a fancier in Selkirk with a BIG LOFT or have these birds flown the great distance from Stobs Camp liberation site a few miles away ?

Does Hawick have the same problem ?

Noticed lots of pigeons (150+) flying about down by the riverside area of the town.

Is there a fancier in Selkirk with a BIG LOFT or have these birds flown the great distance from Stobs Camp liberation site a few miles away ?

There used to be a pigeon man near the old Mill

Think his name was Henderson also think he was former football player

Hi, I am a selkirk man. Lived there for 42 years. Wull Henderson was a very good friend of mine, he died two years ago this December. There used to be two clubs in Selkirk. Very sad to see that there are now no fanciers in the town. Just shows the very sad decline in the sport.

Selkirk and the Borders used to be a good place to race pigeons into. The Selkirk club can lay claim to 1st S.N.F.C. Rennes, 2nd S.N.F.C. Rennes and back to Wull and myself. Wull was 9th open and I was 11th open Rennes S.N.F.C in the year 1990. Yours Alastair McCudden

Thanks Alastair,

Nice SNFC results, goes to show good fanciers and pigeons will win almost anywhere.

Checked Squills book T Pringle 1976.

John McGillivray won SNFS Nantes twice in 3 years into our village, we still have a few fanciers left but no pigeon club.

Not as many fanciers trying the distance races now.