Yb Racing, Time For A Change.

Delboy

The last few years the weather in September and October has been fantastic and this trend is set to continue due to global warming etc. I think its time to change our thinking regarding yb racing.I think we could run 2 yb programs, the traditional one from July to Sept and another from the start of Sept to the end of October/start November.You could half your yb team and send to both programs .The later program helps with avoiding the hawk problem and will make it easier for natural ybs to complete the program without being darkened. The race program meetings will be coming up very soon and this, in my opinion, is definitely food for thought and hopefully will be discussed.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last few years the weather in September and October has been fantastic and this trend is set to continue due to global warming etc. I think its time to change our thinking regarding yb racing.I think we could run 2 yb programs, the traditional one from July to Sept and another from the start of Sept to the end of October/start November.You could half your yb team and send to both programs .The later program helps with avoiding the hawk problem and will make it easier for natural ybs to complete the program without being darkened. The race program meetings will be coming up very soon and this, in my opinion, is definitely food for thought and hopefully will be discussed.

Y take yb in to sep, and oct, young Percy is in top hunting mode fattening up for winter, 😩

Y take yb in to sep, and oct, young Percy is in top hunting mode fattening up for winter, ������

I was under the impression that the threat of percy was less in these months but I may be wrong Dunc.

Edited by Delboy

Y take yb in to sep, and oct, young Percy is in top hunting mode fattening up for winter, 😩

Then again if there are no young bird racing until that month their might not be as many young perceys survived, a believe in Lanarkshire alone there a killers of the highest quality and they feed on 20,000 young birds each year and if they kill 200 a day in Lanarkshire that means there are 100 perceys on the prowl a day ,from April til July 4 months before racing and birds missing before the first race says 100 percey that's 100 bop killing 2 birds every other day for four months 16 weeks = 18,000 min for those training weeks

the cost would put some feds out the game

I put this thread up for the benefit of our ybs. Lets hear ideas on how to move forward with our sport.First things first, we must clear a road of 100 miles. The Sept-Oct program could be 3 x 60 and 3 x 80 mls. Half your team going to this would be perfect EDUCATION for them.The other half could be raced on the traditional program if you want. As for feds going out the game ??? These are the races feds make money Tommy, you should know that.

ONE THINGS FOR SURE, THE GAMES DEAD IF WE CONTINUE THE WAY WE HAVE BEEN GOING.

I put this thread up for the benefit of our ybs. Lets hear ideas on how to move forward with our sport.First things first, we must clear a road of 100 miles. The Sept-Oct program could be 3 x 60 and 3 x 80 mls. Half your team going to this would be perfect EDUCATION for them.The other half could be raced on the traditional program if you want. As for feds going out the game ??? These are the races feds make money Tommy, you should know that.

ONE THINGS FOR SURE, THE GAMES DEAD IF WE CONTINUE THE WAY WE HAVE BEEN GOING.

I have spoke to my papa and a few others about this del. I also think that we don’t need to hammer down the road with obs either.

What’s wrong with 2x60, 2x80, 1x100, 1x135 1x 175 then go over 200 miles. It gives the Birds confidence and also fitness. If the weathers bad you also aren’t forced to send your full whack. In the best of the weather when snfc/snrpc are racing Glasgow don’t have a race... I think we should have 2 races either from Berwick - Ripon area and let pigeons race. That’s what we keep them for.

Look at Lanarkshire programme this year with obs... 6 races under 100 miles. They had 900+ at yrpes. There biggest entry in years and that was after terrible returns the year before with there fed. Food for thought?

I have spoke to my papa and a few others about this del. I also think that we don’t need to hammer down the road with obs either.

What’s wrong with 2x60, 2x80, 1x100, 1x135 1x 175 then go over 200 miles. It gives the Birds confidence and also fitness. If the weathers bad you also aren’t forced to send your full whack. In the best of the weather when snfc/snrpc are racing Glasgow don’t have a race... I think we should have 2 races either from Berwick - Ripon area and let pigeons race. That’s what we keep them for.

Look at Lanarkshire programme this year with obs... 6 races under 100 miles. They had 900+ at yrpes. There biggest entry in years and that was after terrible returns the year before with there fed. Food for thought?

Deffo needs changes instead of same old sh ite. I reckon their should be a 80-100 mile race available every week of the year. So many transporters lying dormant that could be doing something.

I was under the impression that the threat of percy was less in these months but I may be wrong Dunc.

Yes there active at this time of year we as fanciers dont notice it as much as we don't train in these months, jmo but any new ideas must be looked at as it can't be any worse than what we have bud, I would like to try ybs before the young Percy has left the nest

Yes there active at this time of year we as fanciers dont notice it as much as we don't train in these months, jmo but any new ideas must be looked at as it can't be any worse than what we have bud, I would like to try ybs before the young Percy has left the nest

Thats another good point.

Then again if there are no young bird racing until that month their might not be as many young perceys survived, a believe in Lanarkshire alone there a killers of the highest quality and they feed on 20,000 young birds each year and if they kill 200 a day in Lanarkshire that means there are 100 perceys on the prowl a day ,from April til July 4 months before racing and birds missing before the first race says 100 percey that's 100 bop killing 2 birds every other day for four months 16 weeks = 18,000 min for those training weeks

Don't be brainwashed if a Percy dont have our doos they will take wild birds which there are plenty of at end of breading season, but it's a lot easier to sit on a thermal above a flight line and drop on our lovely takeaways,

Gosh, seems Del has changed his mind then. I thought a few weeks back I and others said the same as Del.

Time for change... Certainly. Even a postal vote etc.

Nothing to do with B.O.P. whatsoever so why chuck thAT OLD SPANNER INTO THE WORKS?!

They will kill whatever, so why chuck that old useless spanner in the works! Fact is Climate change IS taking an effect. We must move to HELP our birds and stop being silly and LAUGH out loud at those protecting their corners.

Yes one get comfortable with HABITS! Yes not many like change! Especially for 'Change Sake'!

But this isn't the case.

Every year, year in and year out now will see worse happenings. Yes still head burying holds fast! Do the same … or if getting worst why not carrying doing the same and let it get worse. Yeah Right … hold on isn't that what is happening and getting worse!

Gosh, seems Del has changed his mind then. I thought a few weeks back I and others said the same as Del.

Time for change... Certainly. Even a postal vote etc.

Nothing to do with B.O.P. whatsoever so why chuck thAT OLD SPANNER INTO THE WORKS?!

They will kill whatever, so why chuck that old useless spanner in the works! Fact is Climate change IS taking an effect. We must move to HELP our birds and stop being silly and LAUGH out loud at those protecting their corners.

Yes one get comfortable with HABITS! Yes not many like change! Especially for 'Change Sake'!

But this isn't the case.

Every year, year in and year out now will see worse happenings. Yes still head burying holds fast! Do the same … or if getting worst why not carrying doing the same and let it get worse. Yeah Right … hold on isn't that what is happening and getting worse!

Ive not changed my mind Roland, im always looking to better the sport.

As I said on another’s thread a week or so ago why not give the YBs 3 races out to 100 miles and then start them at 60 again gives everyone a chance to get over YB sickness and get their yb’s started again then 1 at 120 and 1 at say ripon 157 for those that want to carry on or have an interest in the YB national.im sure other feds are going further that the national minded lads could get their birds out some kind of distance if they want.incidentally I think there was only 3 or 4 from own fed that went to the National the upshot is longer on the road the more chance of being hit by bops or even worse sick pigeons which I think is more rife than we think getting lost cause they don’t have the health and fitness to home jmo

Accepted Del 'I've not changed my mind Roland, I'm always looking to better the sport'. That I've always believed off you Delboy!

I can't, for love or money understand a jot why fanciers, who supposedly love the pigeons and the sport Can't be happy with 24 races plus Nationals. Especially if having 'Really' having their birds, let alone the sport's interests at heart. Sorry but that smacks as Selfishness at the highest degree. J.M.O thoughts which will never ever change! Basically looking at the bigger picture and well being of one and all... Especially the pigeons!

If one is upset via this post, sorry. but maybe just again a Mirror and a look into the heart might surprise the honest one. Mind and Heart !

As I said on another’s thread a week or so ago why not give the YBs 3 races out to 100 miles and then start them at 60 again gives everyone a chance to get over YB sickness and get their yb’s started again then 1 at 120 and 1 at say ripon 157 for those that want to carry on or have an interest in the YB national.im sure other feds are going further that the national minded lads could get their birds out some kind of distance if they want.incidentally I think there was only 3 or 4 from own fed that went to the National the upshot is longer on the road the more chance of being hit by bops or even worse sick pigeons which I think is more rife than we think getting lost cause they don’t have the health and fitness to home jmo

This is another reason to fly later, letting ybs recover from sickness or injury. I know a dozen fanciers who havent got their ybs raced for years due to YBS, and when they have recovered it is too late in the season.The Sept-Oct program would suit these guys.

In reality first O/b races should start even later than what they used to MAY. Put together in late March or 1st / 2nd week in April if not needing two rounds … they 2 rounds were bred and raced the whole program. Too many think that they would be behind and not 'Steal a March'!

Bred 3 youngster - egg in June that flew Thurso in Late September 479 miles. (Was in the now defunct Midland North Road National. Many a time our youngster flew Elgin and or / Perth. Nigh all fanciers once flew Berwick 250 mile. Elgin and Perth a lot further of course

Could keep the OB & YB programmes status quo and every 2nd Sunday from start of May till end of August have a 80/100 training race.. this would help with getting birds fit, birds which have been Injured, training for longer races, folk who want there YBs going early then put by could use it, again more training and transporter experience for later YBs or doos that have been ill or injured..

Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Ayrshire could tie up and iron out any difficulties which we face face if we again looked at combine racing or joint convoying..

Could keep the OB & YB programmes status quo and every 2nd Sunday from start of May till end of August have a 80/100 training race.. this would help with getting birds fit, birds which have been Injured, training for longer races, folk who want there YBs going early then put by could use it, again more training and transporter experience for later YBs or doos that have been ill or injured..

Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Ayrshire could tie up and iron out any difficulties which we face face if we again looked at combine racing or joint convoying..

Decent post

In reality first O/b races should start even later than what they used to MAY. Put together in late March or 1st / 2nd week in April if not needing two rounds … they 2 rounds were bred and raced the whole program. Too many think that they would be behind and not 'Steal a March'!

Bred 3 youngster - egg in June that flew Thurso in Late September 479 miles. (Was in the now defunct Midland North Road National. Many a time our youngster flew Elgin and or / Perth. Nigh all fanciers once flew Berwick 250 mile. Elgin and Perth a lot further of course

As they used to say, bred in May, go all the way, good post Roland