FRED YOUNGSTERS WOULD RATHER PLY INSIDE

WITH THERE COMPUTER GAMES THAN GO OUT SIDE

AND LOOK AFTER PIGEONS

JUST S MY GRANDSON DONE I OFFERD HIM A LOFT

OF YBS TO START HIM OFF BUT WOULD NOT TAKE UP THE OFFER

HE DID NOT WONT TO CLEAN THEM ETC

I WOULD BREED ANY KID A TEAM OF YBS TO GET THEM STARTED

EVEN GIVE A BASKET

Ok, whats your opinion on trying to re grow our hobby? getting more youngsters involved?

This topic has been covered many times,but it seems to never get any further in resolving the lack of new starters joining the sport.Are kids interested in going outside these days,when they can talk and play games sitting at home with there friends.My eldest Som will help with feeding etc when I’m not about,done school projects and got a lot of praise for his exams talking about racing pigeons.It got the teachers talking with lots of questions about the sport,but the children not that interested.

I think the best chance of getting new starters is to get the 40 to 50 plus age group interested,as they have more available funds and time to get started.They May have been sport minded earlier in life and now unable to play football rugby now,but still want the thrill of the Win.These lads invited or taken to events to show off our sport been best chance of getting new starters going.

Let’s see what others have to say....

This topic has been covered many times,but it seems to never get any further in resolving the lack of new starters joining the sport.Are kids interested in going outside these days,when they can talk and play games sitting at home with there friends.My eldest Som will help with feeding etc when I’m not about,done school projects and got a lot of praise for his exams talking about racing pigeons.It got the teachers talking with lots of questions about the sport,but the children not that interested.

I think the best chance of getting new starters is to get the 40 to 50 plus age group interested,as they have more available funds and time to get started.They May have been sport minded earlier in life and now unable to play football rugby now,but still want the thrill of the Win.These lads invited or taken to events to show off our sport been best chance of getting new starters going.

Let’s see what others have to say....

So its all about money? youngsters don't have much> and yes, the big boys ego win win win, destroys many new starters.....be honest here, how many give new starters birds bred from their very best?

So its all about money? youngsters don't have much> and yes, the big boys ego win win win, destroys many new starters.....be honest here, how many give new starters birds bred from their very best?

and throw 20 in clock for ego?

FRED YOUNGSTERS WOULD RATHER PLY INSIDE

WITH THERE COMPUTER GAMES THAN GO OUT SIDE

AND LOOK AFTER PIGEONS

JUST S MY GRANDSON DONE I OFFERD HIM A LOFT

OF YBS TO START HIM OFF BUT WOULD NOT TAKE UP THE OFFER

HE DID NOT WONT TO CLEAN THEM ETC

I WOULD BREED ANY KID A TEAM OF YBS TO GET THEM STARTED

EVEN GIVE A BASKET

That's not true mate, some would love to do it, but don't have the money to do it...…..give them a loft too, and many would bite your hand off :drinking-coffee-200:

That's not true mate, some would love to do it, but don't have the money to do it...…..give them a loft too, and many would bite your hand off :drinking-coffee-200:

Fact is, as you also admit...10 years from now, if no change, pigeon racing up here will go in a transit van

I only started up a few years ago myself. The things I found offputting myself were 1) Difficulty finding a club - the nearest club to me wouldn’t let me in. The club that did let me in was a 40 min drive from my house - this is a long trip for someone who is potentially juggling family, work, kids etc already. 2) The amount of flyers who tell you it’s not worth joining as your in a terrible position (I had over 5 people tell me this before I even had a race). I am in a terrible position personally but to be a new start and to be written off before you’ve even raced does take the wind out of your sails. 3) and for me this is the most important and the biggest reason we won’t attract younger people. The attitudes of most pigeon men stink. They all want to slag each other off, there is a lot of infighting at club level and upwards. They all moan about bop, mob flyers, disease, costs (now I’m not saying these aren’t all very real problems) but for a new start to hear all the negativity and bad mouthing and bad sportsmanship from the start isn’t good - especially if we’re talking about attracting kids. Would you want you kid hanging about with a load of miserable old whinging *expletive removed* 😂 I reckon for the sport to survive we have to first work on keeping hold of the members we do have - only way to do that is make some positive change. I’d like to see all the homing unions come together and dedicate fund raising and prize money to the BOP issue. Be it in terms of researching ways to minimise, making dipping/spraying of birds mandatory at basketing. Or even arranging Friday libs (when the skies are usually empty) to feed those hungry *expletive removed* with “select†pigeons. 9/10 fanciers moan about bops (myself included). If we can’t fix this issue then recruiting new members will be secondary.

Maybe some of the money Blackpool brings in could be set aside and young fanciers could apply for grants “like a lotto grant†to help them buy a loft (loft would be owned by Blackpool committee still) so more it’s a loan loft as long as your a paying member to a union

Most only seem to come into pigeons through a family friend, Me included in that

I see schools seem to be involved in some things also so that could help

Would big studs even join in and offer new starts a round of 6 for free?

I’d say 10 years time it’s basically all over

Yes it does cost a lot of money to set up a new loft,especially when money is tight.When juggling work and bills and the kids.That was why I was targeting the older generation,who have done the kids time.Finished playing the football rugby.So they have a Win attitude,and looking for a new hobby which they still get the thrill.Iâ€ve given kits out to new starters,given the odd pair of stock birds out to help them on there way.

To help the new starter at Club level we should not charge them so have no costs to make it as easier as possible We should advertise our meetings or better still go to Village shows (especially after the birds have finished the moult,and just resting at home)And take some birds in show pens.Probably our best way of advertising,which will not cost the club anything.This way we are seeing different potential fanciers.Which otherwis would not have gone to see someone’s pigeons before.If shown enough interest encourage them with a visit to a loft.To see a racing set up and ask questions.

I only started up a few years ago myself. The things I found offputting myself were 1) Difficulty finding a club - the nearest club to me wouldn’t let me in. The club that did let me in was a 40 min drive from my house - this is a long trip for someone who is potentially juggling family, work, kids etc already. 2) The amount of flyers who tell you it’s not worth joining as your in a terrible position (I had over 5 people tell me this before I even had a race). I am in a terrible position personally but to be a new start and to be written off before you’ve even raced does take the wind out of your sails. 3) and for me this is the most important and the biggest reason we won’t attract younger people. The attitudes of most pigeon men stink. They all want to slag each other off, there is a lot of infighting at club level and upwards. They all moan about bop, mob flyers, disease, costs (now I’m not saying these aren’t all very real problems) but for a new start to hear all the negativity and bad mouthing and bad sportsmanship from the start isn’t good - especially if we’re talking about attracting kids. Would you want you kid hanging about with a load of miserable old whinging *expletive removed* ������ I reckon for the sport to survive we have to first work on keeping hold of the members we do have - only way to do that is make some positive change. I’d like to see all the homing unions come together and dedicate fund raising and prize money to the BOP issue. Be it in terms of researching ways to minimise, making dipping/spraying of birds mandatory at basketing. Or even arranging Friday libs (when the skies are usually empty) to feed those hungry *expletive removed* with “select†pigeons. 9/10 fanciers moan about bops (myself included). If we can’t fix this issue then recruiting new members will be secondary

Try feeding some o them “select†pigeons to some o the older Fanciers would be a good start :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Just look around your own clubs check the age of some members myself been dedicated from the age of 7 now 59 Seen member ready pack in talked him in to join me son in law caught the bug no money wife 2 kids shaping round their feet let him come aboard if all members tryed to enlist Yong members to join them let's say apprenticeship gave the small tasks in and around shed and clubhouse to pay their ways and we took some interest in the stuff their keen on I come across remembers who all say how they miss the birds I put it to them why not get yourself some young birds put them in ours so they can watch race days I'll do all the donkey work just trying to encourage them honest I think the pigeon game had its day all about money you get these great flyers who could win with fantails on what ever they are doing so they need a big name pigeon to sell because nobody wants to buy fatails or any tom dick or Harry's the days are gone we where happy with gifted birds never knowing what they were bird of prey eats any T D H with all this going on who needs it like I said I myself I'm addicted and suppose put up with anything like all other addictions have to

I only started up a few years ago myself. The things I found offputting myself were 1) Difficulty finding a club - the nearest club to me wouldn’t let me in. The club that did let me in was a 40 min drive from my house - this is a long trip for someone who is potentially juggling family, work, kids etc already. 2) The amount of flyers who tell you it’s not worth joining as your in a terrible position (I had over 5 people tell me this before I even had a race). I am in a terrible position personally but to be a new start and to be written off before you’ve even raced does take the wind out of your sails. 3) and for me this is the most important and the biggest reason we won’t attract younger people. The attitudes of most pigeon men stink. They all want to slag each other off, there is a lot of infighting at club level and upwards. They all moan about bop, mob flyers, disease, costs (now I’m not saying these aren’t all very real problems) but for a new start to hear all the negativity and bad mouthing and bad sportsmanship from the start isn’t good - especially if we’re talking about attracting kids. Would you want you kid hanging about with a load of miserable old whinging *expletive removed* 😂 I reckon for the sport to survive we have to first work on keeping hold of the members we do have - only way to do that is make some positive change. I’d like to see all the homing unions come together and dedicate fund raising and prize money to the BOP issue. Be it in terms of researching ways to minimise, making dipping/spraying of birds mandatory at basketing. Or even arranging Friday libs (when the skies are usually empty) to feed those hungry *expletive removed* with “select†pigeons. 9/10 fanciers moan about bops (myself included). If we can’t fix this issue then recruiting new members will be secondary.

Good post big man.

Ok, whats your opinion on trying to re grow our hobby? getting more youngsters involved?

I fear youngsters are not interested; they are too far away from nature nowadays.Most kids, and not just kids wouldn't know a speug from a cotton shilfie or a stushie or a feltie.They only seem to interested in games on their computers, which involve shooting and killing.Maybe I do them a disservice,having always been a country boy,I couldn't get outside quickly enough,freedom,running home from school to change into my old togs, happy days!

My club has joined the Saltire Awards. The kids earn hours for volunteering in the club. This will look good on their CV's in later life. Hopefully they will be bitten by the bug and come back to pigeons after that usual period where they all drift away. 1 Give them an interest in the pigeons from as early an age as possible.

Accept we will lose them as teenagers, so look to the next age bracket. People of 50 have usually some spare money and time and it is them we should be targeting. 2 Make the clubs inviting to others. Regain old values. Help people start up by giving them pigeons, etc. Get to know them before bantering. Keep the banter friendly and never let it become personal.

Participants are dwindling, BOP are increasing. This signifies a demise, however when racing started it was not as popular from when in its heyday, so we will keep at it and we shall have to evolve with the times and situations in which we find ourselves placed. :)

Example of how its doomed Imo ! Young 11 year old lad starts up he joins a club but they only allow him Fed flying facilities and not for flying for club tickets because I take it he lives abit to the North albeit there is a older Fancier in same club even further to the south but no problem for him ?? I work with the young lads uncle and his exact words to me was “No wonder yer sports F@cked !!

Example of how its doomed Imo ! Young 11 year old lad starts up he joins a club but they only allow him Fed flying facilities and not for flying for club tickets because I take it he lives abit to the North albeit there is a older Fancier in same club even further to the south but no problem for him ?? I work with the young lads uncle and his exact words to me was “No wonder yer sports F@cked !!

Hard to believe chris,where does he actually stay?