This Years Tic Beans

Tony C

You know, I once posted up actually, year or more beans are no different than new and fresh ones. The myth came about that they lost fat etc. Untrue. Exactly the same. Doc. Walker's book states same as do very many other meds etc.

UK Tic beans are small rounded seeds with a slightly darker skin than Victor types. The hilum is also typically black.

Much favoured by pigeon fanciers in the UK, Europe and the Middle East. There is also some human consumption trade to the Mediterranean and to the Far East.

The main variety in the UK is Maris Bead.

UK pigeon fanciers tend to prefer darker seeded lots, even over-yeared ones as they find digestibility improves with age.

Continental fanciers, however, prefer new season paler skinned lots.

UK Tic beans offered for shipment throughout the year from crops grown locally.

Growing Tic Beans.

Maris Bead, although an older variety and hence slightly lower yielding in trial situations proves to be a profitable crop for many growers. It is generally more resistant to disease than more modern varieties.

Determinate, with good standing and good disease resistance, Maris Bead is relatively cheap and easy to grow.

Sow late Feb. to late March. Harvest late August onwards.

Aim for 16% moisture. Tics are not easy to dry once combined. Even after time they don't dry out or lose any fat etc.

Also they contain oils and the such is needless. Just another Placebo for own comfort zone. 5 properties for health. Adding oils etc. to them and what nots doesn't add anything to the bird. Once a cup is brim full it is full!.

Edited by Roland

When they white they be poisonous. That's what they reckon so shoot me down but there ye go.

My father told me he had the best young bird season ever when he fed his young birds with beans right out of the field,the farmers combine wasn't working right so my father asked him if he could pick over the field for the beans so there's your answer