Addition to Joe Murphy Results 21/9/18

THE FIFER

Ayrshire Federation

News from Archie McIntyre who writes: ‘Hi Joe, please find the final race report from Ayrshire Fed for 2018 season. I have also attached 3 photos of the 1st 3 federation winners. From the 5th and final young bird race of the season was from Ripon held on Sunday the 9th September a jump of 60 miles on the previous week’s race from Berwick. If we thought last week’s race from Berwick was bad, this race is possible one of the worst young bird races I can remember with only 10 pigeons from a convoy of 273 birds making it home on the day. In my own club at the 18-00 hours ring off the following day, we only had 25 pigeons home from a club entry of 98 birds which was slightly above the 25%mark for returns. I think personally the birds were finding it hard going facing into the westerly wind coming across into the west of Scotland and some of the showers around tea time pushing through from the west coast were nothing short of torrential. Jim O’Hare had the convoy of 273 pigeons at Ripon up and away at 11-10 into a south west wind for a race of between 149 miles up to 175 miles to the top end of the federation. Leading the way in to the federation this week taking 1st and 7th places on 798.2 and 597.6 is Robert Reid of Beith. Robert needs no introduction when it comes to racing pigeons, a man who top’s the fed from the shortest of races right through to the longest of races, in fair days and very difficult days, Robert’s birds are always there. His 1st fed winner is a chequer pied cock and is an early bred youngster and was sent driving an old hen. He had completed a body moult earlier in the year. He is bred from 2 retired racers, both are 2011 pigeons. His sire is SU11-2114 had a couple of fed positions but was not an outstanding racer. However, he is from Robert’s old 2004 chequer cock who is responsible for most of his winning pigeons. His dam was a 2007 hen which was a gift from Ken Buchannan. 2114 is a full brother to, amongst others, the hen which won 2nd section Ypres this year and narrowly missing out on 1st section in the Gold Cup race last year. The dam of the fed topper is SU11A5451 who has 2 first prizes racing as well as 3rd and 8th Federation. She was put to stock as a 2 year old following a peregrine strike and has bred 1st , 2nd & 6th section winners in the SNFC .

2nd fed this week is Gavin Urquhart of West Kilbride on 720.5: Gavin timed a March bred natural blue bar cock and now named “Blue Singe” The reason behind the name was Gavin singed the tip of one of its remaining flights so the pigeon would hold its flight and not throw it leading up to and while in the basket. This young cock was sent sitting on its 2nd set of eggs that were due to be chipping on the day of the race. Leading up to this race, the blue cock had 4 races out to 110 miles then into Ripon 172 a distance of miles. The sire is a blue bar stock cock that contains the best of Ian Cameron’s bloodlines from pigeons Gavin has received from Ian over the last 15 years and blended them together. The dam was bred by Dougie Spittal of Knightswood in Glasgow and is off Busschaerts bloodlines of Martin Hughes.

3rd fed is John Watters of Mauchline on 654.7 John timed a natural blue bar hen flying to the perch. This hen had previously scored 3rd club in the previous weekf rom Berwick and has had every race apart from Kelso. Her sire and dam are down from Willie Wilson of Larkhall stock he obtained from Andy Lockhart.

Other members who timed in on the night on what was a very difficult race and I think is worthy of a mention are the Boyd Brothers and S Boyd from the Whitletts & District club. Cowan &Findlay from Darvel HS, Willie Thomson of Kilmarnock Invitation and another 2 members from my own club Dalry HS. Jim Shepherd timed at 20:15 with his bird arriving in the dark and David Craddock who timed at 20:23 also arriving in the dark.There is a slight story behind David’s arrival as he had gone into the house for the night thinking nothing will come now as darkness had set in. David had just settled down for the night on the couch to watch the telly when his phone went with a text message, thinking to himself; ‘Who is texting me at this time of night’. David looked at his phone and to his amazement it was one of his pigeons that had just arrived and lucky for David he had left the hatch open.David has the Unikon TXT system and this was his Unikon base texting him of his arrival.

North Section 168 birds; winners 1st Robert Reid of Dalry HS on velocity of 798.2: 2nd place is Gavin Urquhart, Dalry HS 720.5: 3rd David Craddock, Dalry HS 597.7

Central Section 41 birds; 1st Willie Thomson of Kilmarnock Invitation 612.0 2nd was Harvey Pollock, Irvine HS 472.0. 3rd McKenna & Diamond of Irvine HS 415.4

South Section 64 birds; 1st is John Watters, Mauchline & District on 654.7. 2nd Boyd Brothersof Whitletts & District on 646.9 3rd S Boyd of Whitletts &District on 558.4

Gavin Urquhart 2nd Fed Ripon YB

Gavin Urquhart 2nd Fed Ripon YB 09_09_2018.jpg

John Watters 3rd Fed Ripon YB

John Watters 3rd Fed Ripon YB 9_9_2018 (1).jpg

Robert Reid 1st Fed Ripon

Robert Reid 1st Fed Ripon YB 09_09_2018.jpg

Other Club winners not mentioned above; Cowan & Findlay (Darvel HS) 577.8, Grant & McGovern (Ardeer HS)506.8

Now the racing season is over Joe, I am hoping to send you reports of the Dalry HS 2 Bird Challenge presentation night and also Ayrshire Federation presentation night. Once again Joe, I thanks you for your support with publishing our federations reports, yours Archie McIntyre race secretary of Ayrshire federation’.