Pigeonbasics Forum: Is It Worth It - Pigeonbasics Forum

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is It Worth It

#1 User is offline   Yellowman 

  • Chipping
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: 1-October 13

Posted 10 September 2018 - 21:22 PM

Is it possible/worth it to race with only 10 or 12 pigeons ? I am trying to learn the whole process of pigeon racing and how it works but thought it best to just ask straight out.

#2 User is offline   Doosstcombs 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 527
  • Joined: 27-April 17
  • LocationSt combs Fraserburgh
  • Club:Fraserburgh and district

Posted 10 September 2018 - 22:50 PM

I'm the same started with a few my best advice is as the racing season is finished, breed as many as you can with your existing birds but if you really want to race with your 12 is don't send all of them away, send half as one's that do come back are worth keeping as long they are up in like 3rd or 4th place,one's that gets lost no point worrying about them. When it comes to young birds for next season train a lot if you can with them,same again balance out how many away as if all goes to race you might get a bad race and lose them all.

#3 User is online   BIGPETE 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 24-February 14
  • LocationNorthamton

Posted 10 September 2018 - 23:20 PM

Do you mean old birds or young birds? Plenty of fellas only race 12 old birds and can dominate their club/ win the averages etc. With YB 12 would be a small team. But if you had 12 of the right breeding they could be worth more then 24 of unproven/untested lines. I come from the opposite school of thought of Doost. If your birds are unproven/untested I would breed as few as possible. Breed off good proven pigeons. If you don’t have good/proven pigeons, find someone local who does. Try and buy a round of young birds off his race team (a lot of established men only breed off their stock birds and certain racers) but you can be sure his race team are well bred and decent pigeons (or they wouldn’t be in his race team)! If you can only accommodate or only want a small race team, it’s crucial the birds are proven/tested and hard working honest pigeons. Avoid pedigrees and trendy names, just get a batch off someone who’s not advertising and is a decent bloke (not a salesman).
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

#4 User is offline   Bryngwynt Lofts 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 3,870
  • Joined: 4-September 10
  • LocationWales

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:17 AM

Like it said above a good small team can dominate a club,if they are off proven birds.Like someone mentioned send half the team each week.This helps balance the odds if there is a bad race like this years disasters.

But the biggest thing now is to plan,stick to your plan and learn from your mistakes.
2018 Results
1st x 17
2nd x 15
3rd x 11
4th x 15
5th x 11

#5 User is offline   Doosstcombs 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 527
  • Joined: 27-April 17
  • LocationSt combs Fraserburgh
  • Club:Fraserburgh and district

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostBryngwynt Lofts, on 11 September 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

Like it said above a good small team can dominate a club,if they are off proven birds.Like someone mentioned send half the team each week.This helps balance the odds if there is a bad race like this years disasters.

But the biggest thing now is to plan,stick to your plan and learn from your mistakes.


Well said

#6 User is online   greenbar 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 11,376
  • Joined: 28-November 10
  • Locationsauchie
  • Club:clackmanan inv

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:03 AM

good birds bad birds,percy dose,nt give a s**t. £10 or £500 they all taste the same,

#7 User is offline   bibendium 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,200
  • Joined: 8-June 09
  • LocationCrookedholm by Kilmarnock
  • Club:Kilmarnock Invitation HS.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:04 AM

Delboy on here had a fantastic season a few years back with only 7 or 8 after something happened to his main race team , I cant remember what it was bad toss or flyaway? but the point is it can be done .

#8 User is offline   Delboy 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 13,352
  • Joined: 27-January 08

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:49 AM

View Postbibendium, on 11 September 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

Delboy on here had a fantastic season a few years back with only 7 or 8 after something happened to his main race team , I cant remember what it was bad toss or flyaway? but the point is it can be done .


I lost 45 of my 52 yb team to a plane , they got fried by its trail. Those 7 ybs went to every yb race including the SNFC YB NATIONAL and I had 2 in the top 10 West Region. The Magnificent Seven lol.
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#9 User is offline   bibendium 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,200
  • Joined: 8-June 09
  • LocationCrookedholm by Kilmarnock
  • Club:Kilmarnock Invitation HS.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:05 AM

View PostDelboy, on 11 September 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

I lost 45 of my 52 yb team to a plane , they got fried by its trail. Those 7 ybs went to every yb race including the SNFC YB NATIONAL and I had 2 in the top 10 West Region. The Magnificent Seven lol.


I remember watching with interest at the time Derek, do you think the 7 birds benefited from the extra attention and care they obviousy got I would say a big yes. but good doos too , how many if any are still with you?

#10 User is offline   Delboy 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 13,352
  • Joined: 27-January 08

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

View Postbibendium, on 11 September 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

I remember watching with interest at the time Derek, do you think the 7 birds benefited from the extra attention and care they obviousy got I would say a big yes. but good doos too , how many if any are still with you?


That was 2012, 5 of the 7 scored at SNFC level and one is still with me. They definitely had more attention and at the time I was challenged to see if i could get them to the national, I took up the challenge and they surpassed my expectations lol. I must add, I was putting alot of work and dedication into them and it paid off.
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#11 User is offline   Yellowman 

  • Chipping
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: 1-October 13

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for replies so it can be done then good.I first joined this forum as a complete beginner about 5 years ago and after several months buying and raising a few birds i went out to the kitbox i was using one morning to a pile of corpses after a cat somehow got in,i was so annoyed i gave up the ghost which i don’t normally quit on things and since always felt there was an itch i didn’t quite scratch so am going to have another go at it on a very small scale so although I’m not ready for birds just yet thought I’d seek info and do my research early.Being just as much of a beginner now as i was then is there a website or book i could get that will tell me the basic rules of racing and how it works,times,distance etc thanks

#12 User is offline   bibendium 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,200
  • Joined: 8-June 09
  • LocationCrookedholm by Kilmarnock
  • Club:Kilmarnock Invitation HS.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 13:38 PM

View PostDelboy, on 11 September 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

That was 2012, 5 of the 7 scored at SNFC level and one is still with me. They definitely had more attention and at the time I was challenged to see if i could get them to the national, I took up the challenge and they surpassed my expectations lol. I must add, I was putting alot of work and dedication into them and it paid off.

2012 jeez that long ago. I was thinking2 maybe 3 years ago lol

#13 User is online   BIGPETE 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 598
  • Joined: 24-February 14
  • LocationNorthamton

Posted 11 September 2018 - 13:55 PM

View PostYellowman, on 11 September 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

Thanks for replies so it can be done then good.I first joined this forum as a complete beginner about 5 years ago and after several months buying and raising a few birds i went out to the kitbox i was using one morning to a pile of corpses after a cat somehow got in,i was so annoyed i gave up the ghost which i don’t normally quit on things and since always felt there was an itch i didn’t quite scratch so am going to have another go at it on a very small scale so although I’m not ready for birds just yet thought I’d seek info and do my research early.Being just as much of a beginner now as i was then is there a website or book i could get that will tell me the basic rules of racing and how it works,times,distance etc thanks

If that made you pack up completely and not inspire you to catch the cat and fix the hole and redouble your efforts. Then your gonna be suicidal when you start having bad trainers or not timing in. This sport isn’t for the faint hearted, there is a lot of heartbreak and disappointment to be had.
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

#14 User is offline   Delboy 

  • High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 13,352
  • Joined: 27-January 08

Posted 11 September 2018 - 14:09 PM

View Postbibendium, on 11 September 2018 - 14:38 PM, said:

2012 jeez that long ago. I was thinking2 maybe 3 years ago lol


Aye, 6 years, canny believe it masel lol
Derek Hay, Kirkintilloch

#15 User is online   Bobby4 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 779
  • Joined: 17-August 11
  • LocationCOATBRIDGE
  • Club:UDDINGSTON

Posted 11 September 2018 - 14:19 PM

These days racing with 12 birds IMO impossible to race the programme 20yr ago yes .there isn't 1fancier in our club or even in the fed I know races 12 YB or 12 fly's old birds an completes the programme.they days are gone

#16 User is online   bigbill 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,344
  • Joined: 23-August 09
  • Locationwishaw
  • Club:newmains

Posted 11 September 2018 - 15:28 PM

View PostBobby4, on 11 September 2018 - 15:19 PM, said:

These days racing with 12 birds IMO impossible to race the programme 20yr ago yes .there isn't 1fancier in our club or even in the fed I know races 12 YB or 12 fly's old birds an completes the programme.they days are gone

yep, davie Watson
always keep your chin up

bill

#17 User is online   Bobby4 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 779
  • Joined: 17-August 11
  • LocationCOATBRIDGE
  • Club:UDDINGSTON

Posted 11 September 2018 - 16:41 PM

View Postbigbill, on 11 September 2018 - 15:28 PM, said:

yep, davie Watson


Who bill

#18 User is online   Bobby4 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 779
  • Joined: 17-August 11
  • LocationCOATBRIDGE
  • Club:UDDINGSTON

Posted 11 September 2018 - 17:33 PM

View Postbigbill, on 11 September 2018 - 15:28 PM, said:

yep, davie Watson


Davie that flew in the 90s in coatbridge bill

#19 User is online   bigbill 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,344
  • Joined: 23-August 09
  • Locationwishaw
  • Club:newmains

Posted 11 September 2018 - 18:06 PM

View PostBobby4, on 11 September 2018 - 18:33 PM, said:

Davie that flew in the 90s in coatbridge bill

yes kevin, small loft, but went to every race plus nat, with a very small team,
always keep your chin up

bill

#20 User is online   Bobby4 

  • Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 779
  • Joined: 17-August 11
  • LocationCOATBRIDGE
  • Club:UDDINGSTON

Posted 11 September 2018 - 18:30 PM

View Postbigbill, on 11 September 2018 - 18:06 PM, said:

yes kevin, small loft, but went to every race plus nat, with a very small team,


That's what iam saying bill you could race 12*birds 20 year ago not anymore

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


  • Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Apex Garden Buildings
  • Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: Solway Feeders