Is It Worth It

Yellowman

I'm the same started with a few my best advice is as the racing season is finished, breed as many as you can with your existing birds but if you really want to race with your 12 is don't send all of them away, send half as one's that do come back are worth keeping as long they are up in like 3rd or 4th place,one's that gets lost no point worrying about them. When it comes to young birds for next season train a lot if you can with them,same again balance out how many away as if all goes to race you might get a bad race and lose them all.

Do you mean old birds or young birds? Plenty of fellas only race 12 old birds and can dominate their club/ win the averages etc. With YB 12 would be a small team. But if you had 12 of the right breeding they could be worth more then 24 of unproven/untested lines. I come from the opposite school of thought of Doost. If your birds are unproven/untested I would breed as few as possible. Breed off good proven pigeons. If you don’t have good/proven pigeons, find someone local who does. Try and buy a round of young birds off his race team (a lot of established men only breed off their stock birds and certain racers) but you can be sure his race team are well bred and decent pigeons (or they wouldn’t be in his race team)! If you can only accommodate or only want a small race team, it’s crucial the birds are proven/tested and hard working honest pigeons. Avoid pedigrees and trendy names, just get a batch off someone who’s not advertising and is a decent bloke (not a salesman).

Like it said above a good small team can dominate a club,if they are off proven birds.Like someone mentioned send half the team each week.This helps balance the odds if there is a bad race like this years disasters.

But the biggest thing now is to plan,stick to your plan and learn from your mistakes.

Well said

Delboy on here had a fantastic season a few years back with only 7 or 8 after something happened to his main race team , I cant remember what it was bad toss or flyaway? but the point is it can be done .

I lost 45 of my 52 yb team to a plane , they got fried by its trail. Those 7 ybs went to every yb race including the SNFC YB NATIONAL and I had 2 in the top 10 West Region. The Magnificent Seven lol.

I lost 45 of my 52 yb team to a plane , they got fried by its trail. Those 7 ybs went to every yb race including the SNFC YB NATIONAL and I had 2 in the top 10 West Region. The Magnificent Seven lol.

I remember watching with interest at the time Derek, do you think the 7 birds benefited from the extra attention and care they obviousy got I would say a big yes. but good doos too , how many if any are still with you?

I remember watching with interest at the time Derek, do you think the 7 birds benefited from the extra attention and care they obviousy got I would say a big yes. but good doos too , how many if any are still with you?

That was 2012, 5 of the 7 scored at SNFC level and one is still with me. They definitely had more attention and at the time I was challenged to see if i could get them to the national, I took up the challenge and they surpassed my expectations lol. I must add, I was putting alot of work and dedication into them and it paid off.

Thanks for replies so it can be done then good.I first joined this forum as a complete beginner about 5 years ago and after several months buying and raising a few birds i went out to the kitbox i was using one morning to a pile of corpses after a cat somehow got in,i was so annoyed i gave up the ghost which i don’t normally quit on things and since always felt there was an itch i didn’t quite scratch so am going to have another go at it on a very small scale so although I’m not ready for birds just yet thought I’d seek info and do my research early.Being just as much of a beginner now as i was then is there a website or book i could get that will tell me the basic rules of racing and how it works,times,distance etc thanks

That was 2012, 5 of the 7 scored at SNFC level and one is still with me. They definitely had more attention and at the time I was challenged to see if i could get them to the national, I took up the challenge and they surpassed my expectations lol. I must add, I was putting alot of work and dedication into them and it paid off.

2012 jeez that long ago. I was thinking2 maybe 3 years ago lol

Thanks for replies so it can be done then good.I first joined this forum as a complete beginner about 5 years ago and after several months buying and raising a few birds i went out to the kitbox i was using one morning to a pile of corpses after a cat somehow got in,i was so annoyed i gave up the ghost which i don’t normally quit on things and since always felt there was an itch i didn’t quite scratch so am going to have another go at it on a very small scale so although I’m not ready for birds just yet thought I’d seek info and do my research early.Being just as much of a beginner now as i was then is there a website or book i could get that will tell me the basic rules of racing and how it works,times,distance etc thanks

If that made you pack up completely and not inspire you to catch the cat and fix the hole and redouble your efforts. Then your gonna be suicidal when you start having bad trainers or not timing in. This sport isn’t for the faint hearted, there is a lot of heartbreak and disappointment to be had.

That's what iam saying bill you could race 12*birds 20 year ago not anymore

Read the above Del done it 6 years ago.lol I agree its difficult it can be done.

one of my club members almost completed the old bird programme with 3 pigeons this year only failing to time at Maidstone.

Read the above Del done it 6 years ago.lol I agree its difficult it can be done.

one of my club members almost completed the old bird programme with 3 pigeons this year only failing to time at Maidstone.

Aye mate did read Del's an very good it was most people only raced a small team many years ago as there's a reason why everyone breeds 3 to 4 times as many now .the boy that started the post said is it possible to competition with 12 birds .anything is possible but not even the best fanciers in Europe breed 12 doos an expect to compete a think he would be very disappointed if he tried it he will need more than good luck IMO

If that made you pack up completely and not inspire you to catch the cat and fix the hole and redouble your efforts. Then your gonna be suicidal when you start having bad trainers or not timing in. This sport isn’t for the faint hearted, there is a lot of heartbreak and disappointment to be had.

Having been around the sporting canine scene for many years I’m well aware of the ups and downs of both husbandry and competetion but obviously having yet to be bitten by the bug of pigeons it was an easy thing to walk away from after all how do we know we are going to get into a hobby or sport until we give it a fair go,which i now intend to do.

These days racing with 12 birds IMO impossible to race the programme 20yr ago yes .there isn't 1fancier in our club or even in the fed I know races 12 YB or 12 fly's old birds an completes the programme.they days are gone

Why is that though mate what’s changed ?